"Hope" Artist Interviews Series Five

By Roxanne Phillips

We are pleased to present our fifth series of interviews with artists whose works are featured in our current virtual/online exhibit presented by Art Saint Louis, "Hope" (February 1-April 1, 2021). You can view all the virtual exhibit as well as all 48 featured artworks on our website here and in our Facebook album here.

We proudly introduce you to featured artists Ryan Fredrickson, Savitri Grover, and Sun Smith-Foret.
____________________________

RYAN FREDRICKSON

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ virtual gallery online exhibit, “Hope” (February 1-April 1, 2021): Ryan Fredrickson, St. Louis, MO. “Barren Blossom.” 2020. Soft Pastel on Sanded Board, 9”x12”. $250 framed.
Artist’s statement: "Hope is like these flowers. It is fragile and delicate. It often blooms unexpectedly from deep dark places when all else seems lost and barren."


About the artist
: I grew up in Pacific, Missouri and now live in St. Louis. My day job is in the IT industry, but my life is dedicated to my friends and family, and okay, my cats. I’m a serious board game nerd, avid table-tennis player and look forward to going on my first trip abroad to find some new subject matter to paint. Art is a new found love and one I hope to explore for a long time.

Ryan Fredrickson. “Fall Creek.” November 2020. Soft Pastel on Pastel Paper, 9”x12”. $250 framed.

Ryan Fredrickson. “Hand Rock Sunset.” December 2020. Soft Pastel on Sanded Board, 9”x12”. NFS.


Roxanne Phillips: Describe your artistic process/technique.
Ryan Fredrickson: I just started making art in July 2020, so I'm still learning and trying new processes and techniques. Every painting I do I learn something new.

Ryan Fredrickson. “Cabezon.” January 2021. Acrylic on Canvas, 12”x16”. $250 unframed.


RP: What was it that first prompted your career/activity as an artist?
RF: I went camping on a mountain in New Mexico last summer, and the scenery was stunning. I felt inspired to try and recreate these scenes myself in a different medium other than the photos I had taken.

Ryan Fredrickson. “Fire-kissed Tree.” September 2020. Soft Pastel on Paper, 12”x16”. NFS.


RP: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy the most?
RF: I started with soft pastels, and feel like that is the medium I have the most experience with at this point, but I've enjoyed all the mediums I've experimented with so far. Pastels feel more personal to me, and easier to control in a sense. I use my fingers and hands a lot with this medium and in doing this, there is nothing between me and my art.

St. Louis artist Ryan Fredrickson's studio.


RP: What is the biggest challenge with being an artist and juggling all life throws at you?
RF: Life is challenging enough on its own, my art is a way for me to escape that and block everything else out.

Ryan Fredrickson. “Sunrise Lake.” October 2020. Soft Pastel on Pastel Paper, diptych, 9”x12” each. NFS.


RP: What advice would you give your younger artist self?
RF: Start sooner. I mean, I am my younger artist self in a way.

St. Louis artist Ryan Fredrickson.

Learn more about Ryan Fredrickson: www.facebook.com/ryan.lamson
____________________________

SAVITRI GROVER

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ virtual exhibit, “Hope” (February 1-April 1, 2021): Savitri Grover, Chesterfield, MO. “Nurture.” 2020. Acrylic and Paint Pen on Canvas, 16”x20”. $650 unframed.
Artist’s statement: “Last year the world went through a similar experience together. We witnessed an uptake in depression & other mental health issues. This piece represents a positive step towards self-care—a step towards leaving our past behind & starting the process of healing and nurturing ourselves.”


About the artist: "I am not trying to be perfect; I am trying to master my imperfection" -Savitri Grover
My subject matter is an outcome of emotions caused by everyday experiences, and like any raw emotions, they are not perfect. Expressing these emotions sometimes creates a one-of-a-kind piece that I fall in love with, and at times it also has its unique imperfection. Creating is an experience where I process all my feelings regarding specific issues. Even though my motivations come from real-life topics that can be difficult to process, I want viewers to feel inspired, informed, and empowered.

Savitri Grover. “Wildflower.” 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 10”x10”. $250.

Roxanne Phillips: Why do you make art?

Savitri Grover
: Making art is like meditation. It helps me focus and lets me express my ideas and interpretations in a way I could not with spoken words. 

Savitri Grover. “Line.” 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 10”x10”. $250.


RP: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork?
SG: People around me, and my past experiences.

Savitri Grover. “Fresh Perspective.” 2020. Acrylic, Painting Pens on Fine Art 300 gm Cold Press Paper, 9”x11”. $150.


RP: What is your preferred way to exhibit and sell your art?
SG: Most of my art pieces are available on my website. You can buy it through my website or reach out to me on social media or through my site for any original pieces not listed on my site.

Savitri Grover. “Meenakari.” 2020. Acrylic, Glass Paint on Canvas, 10”x36”. $950.


RP: What is the biggest challenge with being an artist and juggling all life throws at you?
SG: Being relatively new to art business sometimes I feel stretched in many roles where I manage everything and also finding time to create art.

Artist Savitri Grover's studio.

Artist Savitri Grover's studio.


RP: What are you currently working on?
SG: I am currently working on a 12-piece project for this year with a focus on mental health.

Savitri Grover. “Layers.” 2020. Acrylic, Pens on Fine Art 300gm Cold Press Paper, 9”x11”. $150.
 Elizabeth Winnel selected this piece for the Artpreneure website for curated art.


RP: What motivates you to continue making art?
SG: Picking up my brush again was one of the best decisions I ever made. It helped me process a lot of my emotions and uplift my spirit. I struggled for almost three years with my emotional health, and it was especially helpful last year, and now it is an integral part of my identity.

Chesterfield, Missouri-based artist Savitri Grover.

Learn more about Savitri Grover: www.ewokecreations.com and www.instagram.com/ewokecreations and https://twitter.com/ewokecreations and https://www.facebook.com/ewokecreations
____________________________
SUN SMITH-FORET

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ “Hope” virtual exhibit: Sun Smith-Foret, Elsah, IL. “Green Flash, Maui.” 2020. Mixed Media Amuletic Sculpture: Knotted Waxed Linen, Turquoise, 11”x11”x2.5”. $900 unframed.
Artist’s statement: “Knotted, crocheted, tied, and beaded 3-d amuletic sculptural work comes from direct observation of contemporary basketry and lifelong appreciation of non-Western makers. All pieces in the series emerge from testing limits of knotting with waxed linen and study of cross-cultural ritual and functional art objects, all media, 2-d and 3-d, and years of formal training and teaching of design. The circular nature of the construction mirrors spiritual concerns.”


Spontaneity, Play, and Meditation in the knotted works of Sun Smith-Foret
By Olivia Lahs-Gonzales
 

Sun Smith-Foret. “Element” from "Soma Bay Series" (verso). 2019, Knotted Waxed Linen, Semiprecious Stones, 18”x18”x6”. Photograph by Ray Marklin.

Sun Smith-Foret. “Element” from "Soma Bay Series" recto (L). 2019, Knotted Waxed Linen, Semiprecious Stones, 18”x18”x6”. Photograph by Ray Marklin.

A departure from her large-scale, celebratory quilts that riffed on the culture of film and its articulation of the human condition, the artist for the last three years, has created works from waxed linen whose forms allude to nests, boats, sea creatures and celestial bodies. A student of art history and world religions, these pieces are rooted in ancient cultural practices, rituals, and imagery, as well as in mathematics, science and nature.  Also embedded are stories about her life, spiritual beliefs, and references to the artistic production of a range of cultures, all which imbue the works with talismanic qualities. She was inspired by the knotting techniques used by her friend and mentor, the nationally-known fiber artist Jane Sauer, and has since made it her primary method of artistic production. Her background as a psychotherapist, as well as her studies in art and art history also inform her works.
 

Installation of Sun Smith-Foret’s “Constellation Thicket,” Alton, Illinois. 2020. approx. 20’x6’. Photograph by Ray Marklin.

Sun Smith-Foret. “Monterey County Suite #4," from the "Ritual Vessel Series.” 2020. Knotted Waxed Linen, Semiprecious Stones, 16”x16”x2”. Photograph by Ray Marklin.

The artist allows the intuitive flow of energy from material and cerebral inspiration to be her guide. Her organic sense of wonder, coupled with her deep spiritual connection to elemental patterns of nature, result in pieces that reflect her yearning to find a connection to the ultimate source of all things. As viewers, we are tasked with finding our own embedded stories and meanings, but what is unmistakable in the forms, is the interconnectedness of humanity and our fundamental bond with the forces of nature.

Sun Smith-Foret. “Justice Will Flower." 2020, Knotted Waxed Linen, Semiprecious Stones, Excavated Maritime Metal, 14”x14”x3”. Photograph by Ray Marklin.

Sun Smith-Foret. (verso) “Justice Will Flower." 2020, Knotted Waxed Linen, Semiprecious Stones, Excavated Maritime Metal, 14”x14”x3”. Photograph by Ray Marklin.

Sun Smith-Foret. “Infinity Circles (Eclipse #1, #2 and #3).” 2020. Knotted Waxed Linen, 31”x31”x1.5”. Photograph by Ray Marklin.

Learn more about Sun Smith-Foret: www.sunsmithforet.com/ and www.instagram.com/smithforet and https://www.facebook.com/sun.smithforet.9
____________________________
Roxanne Phillips
is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments