"(all the) Feels" Artist Interviews

by Roxanne Phillips

We are pleased to offer you recent interviews with four of the STL regional artists whose works are featured in our Summer 2022 juried exhibit on view at Art Saint Louis, "(all the) Feels": Michele Hilbing, Julia López, Henry Moyerman, and Dylan Wilson.

"(all the) Feels" exhibit was juried by artists Erin Vigneau Dimick and Michael Omichi Quintero and presents 62 original artworks about emotions, moods & feelings created by 60 St. Louis regional artists from Missouri and Illinois. The show is on view at Art Saint Louis July 30-September 8, 2022.
____________________________
MICHELE R. HILBING

Featured in "(all the) Feels" at Art Saint Louis: Michele Hilbing, Belleville, IL. “A “Fine” Collection.” 2021. Porcelain, 7”x6”x4” ea. NFS.
Artist’s statement: “My porcelain wheel thrown pieces are an investigation of the word "fine" and the power of altered forms. I find that as the written word has the power to change our perceptions; so too can altered shapes, textures, and glazes. And as many times as our perceptions change, so can our interpretations of what is beautiful. My “feels of fine” here have been thrown, pushed, carved into, written on, fired, and glazed during their creation."
 

Roxanne Phillips: What specific mood or emotion are you depicting in your artwork featured in “(all the) Feels”?

Michele R. Hilbing: The pieces in my group consider the changes that words can present when trying to be “fine”. The internal or external dialogues have opportunities to create such feelings as being misunderstood, wronged, crushed or altered.

Michele R. Hilbing. "Blue Line." 2022. Oil on Canvas, 30”x24”. NFS.


Michele R. Hilbing. "Corn I." 2022. Oil on Canvas. 20”x16”. NFS.

RP: How do color, texture, or physical scale of your artworks affect the emotional read of the artwork?

MH: Because our brain is core to how we interpret our feelings, I wanted each of these pieces to begin with a weight similar to the human brain, 3 pounds. I began by throwing each identically, and then altered two of the pieces to show a progression of time. Color is very important to me with these pieces. If you look, even though the final rose is the most wilted; the stain I used, and the deeper textures, brought out the blues in that rose and made it the most beautiful in the group. I like that idea of hope.

Michele R. Hilbing. "Cut Vase I." 2021. Stoneware. 11”x6.25”. NFS.


Michele R. Hilbing. "Licorice." 2021. Stoneware. 12.5”x9”. NFS.



RP: What do you find most challenging/rewarding about the creative process?
MH: I’ve learned that some of my best experiences or pieces have come from work that went off track or against my original plan. It can be frustrating at first when “mistakes” happen, but then that is also when I’ve learned to trust in the situation, keep pushing forward, and enjoy the freedom of exploring new ideas.

Michele R. Hilbing. "Red Line." 2022. Oil on Canvas, 24”x48”. NFS.

Michele R. Hilbing. “Stacked Bowls.” 2021. Stoneware, 4”x8.5”. NFS.


RP: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy the most?

MH: I love both throwing clay on the wheel and painting. With the clay, I love the speed of the wheel and working three dimensionally during the process. Unlike with glazing my ceramic pieces, with painting, I enjoy seeing the “true” colors come together as I work.

Michele R. Hilbing. “Dragon Jar.” 2022. Porcelain, 6.5”x6”. NFS.

RP: What advice would you give your younger artist self?

MH: I would tell myself to trust in my instinct and follow my art instead of playing it safe.

STL regional artist Michele R. Hilbing.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Michele writes: "I worked in the field of education for eighteen years. During my years teaching elementary through university students, raising a family, and living in many states due to military transfers, art has always been at my foundation. I hold a Bachelor of Science degree from Texas A&M University and a Master of Arts degree from the University of Texas at San Antonio. I am currently embracing a life surrounded by art, lifelong learning, and loved ones."

________________________________

JULIA LÓPEZ

Featured in "(all the) Feels" at Art Saint Louis: Julia López, St. Louis, MO. “Huelga.” 2019. Photograph on Metal, 16”x24”. $250.
Artist’s statement: “My artwork seeks to capture moments in time for which there is constant push for change despite backlash from the oppressive societal structure and social norms that encapsulate it.”

Roxanne Phillips: What specific mood or emotion are you depicting in your artwork featured in “(all the) Feels”?
Julia López: The focus of the work is regarding the ongoing attacks on bodily autonomy for anyone who can become pregnant. Using the backdrop of the Arch is meant to illicit context about the many protests that have come through the streets of St. Louis and that there is a history to reconcile.

Julia López. “Shattered Lives.” 2019. Photography on Metal, 18"x12”. $125.

RP: What motivates you to continue making art?
JL: I am interested in the intersection of the built environment and how it plays a role in social justice movements, as well as interactions with what and whom we are surround ourselves with on a daily basis.

Julia López. “Built vs. Nature.” 2019. Photography on Metal, 24"x20”. $325

RP: What do you wish someone would ask you about you or your art?
JL: I think an interesting question to be asked would be, "How do you know when the photograph has taken its final form?"
Julia López. “No Speed Limit.” 2021. Photography on Metal, 24"x16”. $225.

RP: What was it that first prompted your career/activity as an artist?
JL: It was prompted by my father, who died when I was young. He had a passion for photography and it was and continues to be something that helps me feel connected.

Julia López. “Where So Many Have Been.” 2021. Photography on Metal, 24"x16”. $225.

RP: What do you find most challenging/rewarding about the creative process?
JL: I feel that when I see a photo in my mind and how I consider the final form, that I can replicate that in the photographs and pieces of work that I have created. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and I enjoy being able to challenge myself in these ways.

ABOUT THE ARTIST
Learn more about Julia López: www.angelfallscreative.com www.instagram.com/angelfallscreative/ www.facebook.com/angelfallscreative/ https://twitter.com/angelfallsphoto
________________________________
HENRY MOYERMAN

Featured in "(all the) Feels" at Art Saint Louis: Henry Moyerman, St. Louis, MO. “Quiet Panic in Yellow.” 2022. Photograph, Acrylic Print, 16”x24”. $500.

Roxanne Phillips: What specific mood or emotion are you depicting in your artwork featured in “(all the) Feels”?
Henry Moyerman: Quiet Panic in Yellow is meant to make the observer uncomfortable and anxious. The main subject is off center, surrounded by sharp staples and splintering wood. While there is a sense of panic in the work, the subject does not visibly show that panic and appears almost calm.

Henry Moyerman. “This World is for the Next Generation.” 2022. Acrylic Print, 24”x36”x1”. $1,000.

Henry Moyerman. “Almost.” 2018. LEGO Elements, 39”x16”x19”. $8,000.

RP: What was it that first prompted your career/activity as an artist?
HM: My journey to become an artist started at nine years old when I bought my first book about LEGO. Within the book, there was a section about LEGO art. I had never seen anything like it before, and it absolutely fascinated me. What I saw on those pages were some of the most incredible objects I had ever seen. While pursuing my bachelors in music at Berklee College of Music, I took a course on contemporary art history. I absolutely loved the subject, and it caused me to start visiting art museums in Boston quite frequently. Once I had my first full-time job, one of the first things I did was buy enough LEGO brick to start making my own artwork. As the years progressed, I began to make art more frequently, which has led me to where I am today as an artist.

Henry Moyerman. “Secret.” 2021. LEGO Elements, 46”x16”x1”. $2,000.

RP: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy the most?
HM: LEGO elements are a reflection of how I fundamentally see myself. I have always felt like a person between two worlds: One technical and the other creative. I am both an artist and an engineer. The LEGO brick embodies this duality. It can be used for incredible artistic expression, while simultaneously requiring engineering to be formed into a stable physical object. Through original LEGO sculptures and LEGO based photography, I create art that represents who I am. I hope observers will consider how art can reflect who they are as well.

Henry Moyerman. “Translucent Sea 3.” 2022. Acrylic Print, 24”x36”x1”. $1,000.

RP: What is the biggest challenge with being an artist and juggling all that life throws at you?
HM: For me, the biggest challenge is finding time to make art and study art. In a perfect world, that would be my main focus. However, my primary career as an engineering manager takes up a great deal of my time. In addition, there are many other activities in my life that I enjoy that are quite time consuming. I am a professional drummer, playing in St. Louis’ premier jump blues band Sweetie & The Toothaches. I also am on the board of St. Louis public radio and the President of their young friend’s volunteer organization. I am currently finishing my MBA at St. Louis University, and I am an avid cyclist. It is a lot to juggle, but making art is incredibly important to me. I always find a way to make time for it.

Henry Moyerman. “Stairs to Nowhere.” 2022. Acrylic Print, 24”x36”x1”. $1,000.

RP: What do you find most challenging/rewarding about the creative process?
HM: When people see my LEGO sculptures, they often say, “I don’t know how you have the patience!”  A quick sculpture could take me 20 hours to build, and a more complicated or larger sculpture could take me over 100 hours to build. This does create an immense challenge, because it is difficult to find all of that time in my busy schedule. It is also incredibly frustrating to have such a long distance between my ideas and their completion. But building is a part of the creative process, and is usually quite enjoyable. All those hours make the final product that much more rewarding!

Henry Moyerman. “Hollow.” 2021. LEGO Elements, 61”x15”x10”. $2,000.

RP: Has rejection ever affected your creative process? If so, how?
HM: As an artist who has chosen an unusual medium, LEGO elements, I have worried about being taken seriously as an artist from the beginning of my artistic career. As I first began to make art, I would try to make art that I thought would be more easily accepted. But as I got more comfortable with myself as an artist and began to find my voice, I stopped caring about what others would think and concentrated on what I could make that truly spoke to me. Because ultimately, my art is a reflection of who I am and how I see myself.

Henry Moyerman. “Scream.” 2016. LEGO Elements, 30”x6”x21”. $8,000.


RP: What motivates you to continue making art?
HM: When I am creating artwork, I feel authentically like myself. When I have moments of quiet and calm, new artistic ideas come to me. I never have to force the creative process. Seeing my skills as an artist improve and getting to share more and more of my art with the world is all the motivation I need to continue. For me, there are very few feelings as satisfying as finishing a new work of art.

Henry Moyerman. “Eye 2.” 2022. LEGO Elements, 31”x61”x1”. $4,000.

RP: What is your future creative life?
HM: Being able to publicly display my art has been a wonderful experience. I want to take that experience to the next level. Having my artwork featured in a museum would be an absolute dream come true. Additionally, a gallery space like a museum could allow me to make even larger sculptures that cannot be transported. These types of sculptures would have to be built on site. In this case, I would become a part of the artwork itself. My construction inseparable from the work.  Installations like that would open up a world of fascinating creative possibilities.

Artist Henry Moyerman.

ABOUT THE ARTIST
Henry Moyerman writes: “I am a visual artist based in St. Louis, Missouri. I use LEGO bricks and elements to create original sculptures and photographs.
I studied contemporary art as part of my music education at Berklee College of Music. Inspired by my coursework and the museums I frequented in Boston, I found my artistic voice in contemporary art.
LEGO elements are a reflection of how I fundamentally see myself. I create art that represents who I am.”
Learn more about Moyerman: www.thebricksculptor.comwww.instagram.com/thebricksculptor/

________________________________
DYLAN WILSON

Featured in "(all the) Feels" at Art Saint Louis: Dylan Wilson, Warrenton, MO. “The Subconscious Realm.” 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 16”x12”. $6,000.

Roxanne Phillips: What motivates you to continue making art?
Dylan Wilson: The people in my life that believe in me, my boyfriend, my parents, sister, friends etc. Music, but also its my curiosity of trying to be searching for something different. Music all my life has helped me feel and realize how, and where I'm at in life when im angry, sad, lonely, outgoing, fun, joyful.

Dylan Wilson. “The Otherside.” 2022. Colored Pencil on Bristol White Paper, 24"x19”. $4,500.

RP: What is the biggest challenge with being an artist and juggling all that life throws at you?
DW: Is that I work a fulltime physical job to keep myself from going broke, but also want to fulfill my dreams of being an artist. Right now while trying to keep up with my schedule with work and not getting burned out on art. I have been very exhausted.

RP: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork?
DW: The biggest point of inspiration I try to find that makes my artwork, is to become a better version of myself.

Dylan Wilson. “The Cultural Shift/The Hierarchy Loop.” 2021. Acrylic on Canvas, 40"x30”. NFS.

RP: In these ongoing COVID times, emotions seem to be heightened - how has your art, images, and or artmaking process changed as a result?
DW: My art has helped me realize to forgive myself, and to forgive others. The artmaking process has helped me realize that I am a lot smarter than what I think.

Dylan Wilson. “High Hopes.” 2020. Colored Pencil on Bristol Paper, 24"x19”. $5,000.

RP: Describe your artistic process/technique either in-general or specifically as it applies to the creation of the piece featured in our show.
DW: The Process with every longer period project I do, consists of weeks maybe months of new drawings and ideas combined into one. Because my artwork I like to display like it's a story. My technique is that I lay anything out blank like paper or a canvas, and I design on it what I want to make. And then once I finish the predesigns, I begin to color! Another technique that I love to use that helps me find and brighten my works to make them more detailed. Is that subconscious feeling that comes to you when you come close to something you never seen before, and it feels so beautiful.

RP: Do you have a sketchbook? What kinds of things do you put in it?
DW: I do, I've always kept a sketchbook my entire life. Even back in school when I was bored in class I would draw props, cartoons, to anything that I can make of on my homework, or tests. But I have a sketchbook now, and currently I draw people, cartoons, eyes, visionary work, and surreal images. also, when I'm trying to find another deep meaning for another projects, I write them down, so I don't forget.

Artist Dylan Wilson

ABOUT THE ARTIST
Dylan Wilson writes: "Hello, my name is Dylan Wilson. And I am a visionary/spiritual artist. Most of my works are based upon deep meanings of thought, and wonder. For example, High Hopes was about the perspective of letting go, finishing the artwork had also brought truth into my soul as a person to grow. And my art can give meaning back to others as well. Most of my life I mostly used pencils/graphite to make ideas with. It wasn't until the last few years, that I started to explore the lovely world of color. And what my mind had to give to make detailed work has been a journey. And I'm thankful for everyone who was with me along the way!"
Learn more about Wilson: www.instagram.com/_dylanisdrawingart/ ________________________________
Roxanne Phillips
is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant, ArtLoupe Manager, and Exhibitions Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments