"Hope" Artist Interviews Series Eight

By Roxanne Phillips

We are pleased to present our eighth (and final) interview with an artist whose work is featured in our Art Saint Louis virtual exhibit, "Hope" (February 1-April 1, 2021). You can view all of the featured artworks in this exhibit on our website here and in our Facebook album here.

We proudly introduce you to Award of Excellence recipient Nancy Exarhu.
____________________________

NANCY EXARHU

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ virtual exhibit, “Hope”: Nancy Exarhu, Clayton, MO. “Bird.” 2021. Digital Artwork, 22”x28”. Not for Sale. This artwork was selected by the exhibit Juror to receive an Award of Excellence.

Roxanne Phillips: Why do you make art?
Nancy Exahru
: Because I can not help it. I am constantly thinking of what I will make next. I work all day, everyday, alternating disciplines. I write in the morning, then I make ceramics, in the evening I make digital art or prints, the I write some more. I get unbearably bored if I do not make art. Just as I get unbearably thirsty if I do not drink water. 

RP: Describe your path from deciding you want to be an artist to becoming one.
NE
: Before I started my MFA I had been entering art shows. Working towards my MFA was a pivotal time of rapid artistic growth.  And since for over three decades I have never stopped making art, exploring new techniques and constantly expanding my horizons. Even during periods of hardships when because of family commitment I could not afford the time or the rent of a studio, I turned to digital photography as an outlet to my creativity.

Nancy Exarhu. “Covid Self Portrait #16.” 2021. Digital Meda, 22”x28”.

RP: What was your career path? How did you get from being an aspiring artist to doing it?

NE: Before I even finished High School in Greece, I happened to meet a group of artists, already college graduates and got involved in a literary magazine and book publishing business. I always wanted to be a visual artist so after four years of literary and publishing life, I decided that I really wanted to study painting and moved to Florence Italy where, I studied at the Accademia of Belle Arti. I left Florence five years later upon graduation with a baby son and a husband who is from St. Louis. Luck brought me to the printmaking department at Washington University where I earned my MFA.

Apart of the fact that St. Louis is geographically far from the rest of the world, it offered me the opportunity to grow as an artist, to be able to have affordable studio space, use the resources and join an active art community.

Nancy Exarhu. “Covid Self Portrait #19.” 2021. Digital Meda, 22”x28”.

RP: What do you do to support your art and how does that impact your art practice?
NE: I have worked as an art instructor, gallery assistant and art consultant. I have been accepted in art residencies, have shows and generate sales. The past five years I have fallen in love with ceramics and I have been very lucky with the enthusiastic reception of my creations that are sold locally at Craft Alliance, Union Studio, Urban Matters and at my Studio Escargot.

RP: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy the most?
NE: I love making ceramics and I really regret not having studied ceramics instead of painting while I was in Italy. Although my training as a painter and a printmaker all comes together when I work with clay. There is a magic, a sense of genesis when I combine earth, water and fire to make art. It is absolute Eros. A sensation that I never felt for any other discipline.

Nancy Exarhu. “Covid Self Portrait #12.” 2021. Digital Meda, 22”x28”

RP: What is it that you are most eager to convey through your art/ how do you want the viewer to receive or interpret or your art?
NE: Aesthetics is what I aim for. Simple as that. And I focus on the process. I never make sketches. I let the process guide me and the image manifests itself. Then I apply criticism to the outcome.

St. Louis-based artist Nancy Exarhu.

RP: What is your preferred way to exhibit and sell your art?
NE: I like having an open studio, and sell my work in person, because I usually have stories to share and I like to listen to the viewer’s impression of my work.

RP: Describe your dream studio.
NE: Speaking of studios I have to say that I believe that there is not such a thing as a dream studio, only the ability to use any studio available in order to achieve your dreams. Should I really have to describe it, I would like it to have northern light, unobstructed view, empty, clean space and solitude.

Nancy Exarhu. “Covid Self Portrait #13.” 2021. Digital Meda, 22”x28”.

RP: Has rejection ever affected your creative process? If so, how?
NE: Rejection is a very bitter dish to swallow. I try to understand the reason I got rejected so the negative can it turn into a lesson. Also I have learned not to take “no” for an answer.

St. Louis-based artist Nancy Exarhu.

Learn more about Nancy Exarhu
: https://exarhu.com/ and www.instagram.com/exarhuprints and www.instagram.com/nancyexarhusart and www.instagram.com/studioescargot1 and www.facebook.com/nancyexarhuprints and www.facebook.com/nexarhu and
www.facebook.com/studioescargotceramics
____________________________
Roxanne Phillips
is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments