"Hope" Artist Interviews Series Four

By Roxanne Phillips

We are pleased to present our fourth series of interviews with artists whose works are featured in the Art Saint Louis virtual/online gallery exhibit, "Hope" (February 1-April 1, 2021). You can view all the virtual exhibit as well as all 48 featured artworks on our website here and in our Facebook album here.

We proudly introduce you to featured artists Lisa Crisman and Carolyn Karasek.
____________________________

LISA CRISMAN


Featured in Art Saint Louis’ virtual exhibit, “Hope” (February 1-April 1, 2021): Lisa Crisman, Maryland Heights, MO. “Happy Chasm.” 2020. Mixed Media Collage on Panel, 24”x18”. $525.
Artist’s statement: “I wanted to "build" this painting with collage and mixed media attempting to show the precarious heights we sometimes feel in life. Although the tree looks to be in a dangerous place, it is surviving and thriving in its place in the sun, which gives me HOPE for this world.”

About the artist
: St. Louis based artist Lisa Crisman enjoys putting fun in her vibrant and whimsical mixed media paintings. Lisa orchestrates a variety of techniques, including collage, drawing, painting and mark making, creating a story in each piece. She is a member of Art Saint Louis, Greater St. Louis Art Association and Gateway Pastel Artists. Lisa exhibits her art in the St. Louis area as well as across the country.

Roxanne Phillips: Why do you make art? 
Lisa Crisman: I believe I was meant to be an artist. It's all I ever wanted to do, even when life gets in the way and derails things. Something inside me loves and lives to create.

Lisa Crisman. ”The Road Less Traveled.” 2021. Mixed Media, Collage on Panel, 16”x20”. $395.

RP: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork?
LC: I love the landscape and recreating my childhood stomping grounds. I'm also very driven by color. Obsessed with using vibrant, non-local color, I want my paintings to be an explosion of delight for the eyes and mind.
Lisa Crisman. ”A Good Place to Be.” 2020. Mixed Media, Collage on Panel, 12”x12”. $275.

RP: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy the most?
LC: Working with collage and mixed media is just incredibly fun!  It's drawing, painting, pattern making, mark making, cutting, tearing, adhering the puzzle pieces and more. I think I love working with paper because it reminds me of making paper dolls as a child.

Lisa Crisman. ”Waves of Optimism.” 2021. Mixed Media, Collage on Panel, 18”x24”. $525.

RP: What is it that you are most eager to convey through your art and how do you want the viewer to receive or interpret or your art?
LC: I am most eager to make an emotional connection with my art. I'm trying to say, "Here, this is joyful and full of love. Enjoy." No matter how corny that sounds, I want the viewer to see my art and feel that joy and love.

Lisa Crisman. ”TiltaWhirl.” 2021. Mixed Media, Collage on Panel, 18”x24”. $525.

RP: What is your preferred way to exhibit and sell your art?
LC: I enjoy showing and selling my work at art fairs and juried exhibitions across the country.

Lisa Crisman's studio.

RP: What qualities attract you to other artists’ works?
LC: Probably the thing I connect with the most is the use of color. I'm in love with Jo Jasper Dean's vibrant paintings.
Lisa Crisman. ”Symphony for Terra Firma.” 2021. Mixed Media, Collage on Panel, 24”x18”. $525.

RP: What is your future creative life? 

LC: Well, I hope to be painting up to my last day on this earth. I love learning new techniques. Someday, I'll go back to working with pastel.

RP: Has rejection ever affected your creative process? If so, how? 
LC: Absolutely! Rejection cuts deep, even though you know not to take it personally. I've used rejection in the past to just practice improving. It's great motivation.

St. Louis area artist Lisa Crisman with some of her works.

Learn more about Lisa Crisman
: www.LisaCrismanArt.com and www.facebook.com/LisaCrismanLeftEarArt and www.instagram.com/lisacrismanart
____________________________

CAROLYN KARASEK

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ virtual exhibit, “Hope” (February 1-April 1, 2021): Carolyn Karasek, Belleville, IL. “Sweet Nature.” 2020. Oil on Aluminum, 30”x36”. $2,800 unframed.
Artist’s statement: “Inspired by nature, I wanted to paint a story of spring. Oil on aluminum, “Sweet Nature” symbolizes the coming of spring, a new beginning, a renewal, giving us hope. The egg she holds encases nascent life about to emerge. Flowers symbolize springtime while the bluebird reminds us of beauty, and butterflies represent rebirth. Water flows as energy and trees are the physical and spiritual nourishment.”

About the artist: Carolyn Karasek is a realist artist living in southern Illinois. Karasek studied illustration at Syracuse University and Hartford Art School and classical realism painting at Gateway Academy of Classical Art in St Louis. She seeks to explore moments in time in her art, real and imagined moments, while portraying beauty and fragility of life. Using charcoal/graphite and oil Karasek sees the process of creating as meditative and spiritual. She likes that drawing or painting light and shadow to depict shape, color and form on a flat surface communicates a story to the viewer.

Carolyn Karasek. “Artist Self Portrait.” 2018. Oil on Canvas. 23”x28 ½”.  NFS.

Roxanne Phillips: Why do you make art?
Carolyn Karasek: I make art because it is spiritual and meditative, and takes me to another place. Planning a project, seeing and appreciating what is real and what is imagined and transferring that idea to a support and sharing the finished piece with others and possibly making a small difference in this world we live in.

Carolyn Karasek. “Card Shark.” 2019. Charcoal on Drawing Paper. 24”x30”. $950.

RP:  Describe your artistic process/technique: 
CK: I use several variations of the Flemish painting approach used by the Old Masters like Rubens, Titian, Jan Van Ecyk, and Bellini. First I apply an Imprimatura (thin layer of color) on the white support. Next, I establish an underdrawing with charcoal followed by a brush sketch done in an earth brown color. After my drawing is established on the canvas or panel, sometimes I do an underpainting using raw umber or burnt sienna to help me to establish the values. Other times I do a minimal color underpainting (blocking in color masses). The rest is a wet on wet process called alls prima  sometimes followed by glazing after painting is dry.

Illinois-based artist Carolyn Karasek with her self-portrait.

RP: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork? 
CK
: I’m inspired by the act of telling a story through painting, especially the use of light and shadow to depict form. Whether showing beauty in the world, the fragility of life or simply what is, the ability to communicate to viewers a story is what drives me.

Carolyn Karasek. “Tick Tock Little Clocks.” 2020. Oil on Linen Canvas, 30”x38”. $2,400.

RP: What do you find most challenging/rewarding about the creative process?
CK
: The most challenging thing about the creative process is trying to keep up with the ideas swirling around in my head. The most rewarding thing about the creative process is putting the ideas down on the paper, canvas or board.

Carolyn Karasek. “Unbearable Lightness.” 2020 Graphite, Gold Leaf, Warm Pressed Paper, 28”x32. $1,100.

RP: Do you have a sketchbook? What kinds of things do you put in it?
CK
: I keep several sketchbooks to write down ideas and draw ideas for more painting projects. I also practice my drawing skills and take notes from workshops and classes I attend.

Carolyn Karasek. “Summer Girl.” 2019. Oil on Linen Canvas, 18”x24”. $950.

RP: Has rejection ever affected your creative process? If so, how?
CK: Yes, of course, rejection has affected my creative process. I have had to step back and re-evaluate where I’m headed with my art and proceed accordingly. Other times I tell myself the rejection is subjective and I continue on my art journey as I see it.

Carolyn Karasek. “Winter Girl.” 2020. Oil on Linen Canvas, 18”x24”. NFS.

RP: On what are you currently working?
CK: I’m currently working on a bird/people series. Birds and humans are warm blooded and both have a four chamber heart not to mention we share 65% DNA. I like that birds exhibit a wide range of behaviors, including memory, communication, planning and remembering just like us humans.

Artist Carolyn Karasek at work in her studio.

Learn more about Carolyn Karasek: http://carolynkarasekstudio.com/CKS/Home.html and www.instagram.com/tresnakarasek and www.facebook.com/carolyn.needles
____________________________

Roxanne Phillips
is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments