"Creatures II" Artist Q&A Series Two

By Roxanne Phillips

We are pleased to present another series of interviews featuring artists whose works are on view in our new in-gallery exhibition, "Creatures II," presented at Art Saint Louis September 26-October 22, 2020 (open M-F 8-3, Sat. 9-2). If you can't make it to the Gallery to see the show in-person, we offer a complete Facebook album featuring all 62 of the artworks in the show along with accompanying information and artist's statements.

For this week's post, we are pleased to present interviews with "Creatures II" artists Michelle Vezina Peterlin, Kelene Karetski Piazza, Phil Strang, and Sadhbh Mowlds.
____________________________

MICHELLE VEZINA PETERLIN

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ “Creatures II” exhibition: Michelle Vezina Peterlin. “Blue Vapor.” 2019. Acrylic on Canvas, 24”x28”. $2,000.
Artist’s statement: “Indigo Vapor is part of a collection I am currently working on titled Gossamer. The series is about birds, fish and bugs. It is a celebration of all filmy creatures. The abundance of blue hued birds fascinates me. There are so many shades of blue found on birds in nature from purple to grey hues. I start my work by painting the entire canvas black and doing the underpainting in white pencil and paint. I work in acrylic paints because they dry quickly and allow me to make many layers of color.”

Roxanne Phillips: What is it about the “Creatures II” theme that speaks to you?
Michelle Vezina Peterlin: The "Creatures II" theme really resonated with me. I have been working on a new painting series called Gossamer, all things filmy. I have been spending a lot of time studying birds, fish and winged bugs and how they move.  The idea of studying nature and its creatures peaked my interest.

Michelle Vezina Peterlin. Work in-progress: “Blue Vapor.”

RP: Why did you choose the medium in which you concentrate?
MVP: I sketch in black and white and do an entire underpainting before I apply any color. I work in acrylics. There isn't any difference between acrylic and oil paint as far as quality of pigment. The only difference is oil paint has an oil binder and acrylic uses an acrylic polymer. I like using acrylics because of the short drying times and it allows me to make many layers of color. It is similar to the way medieval stained glass was made using multiple layers of colored glass on top of each other.

Michelle Vezina Peterlin. Studio detail.

RP: Describe your studio space.
MVP: I live in a converted school house. I use part of one of the rooms. I do not need a lot of space and I like to keep things tidy. Several years ago, I bought an old library card catalog drawer. I labeled and color coded all the drawers which makes it easy to find the things I need.

Michelle Vezina Peterlin. Studio detail.

RP: What kind of music or books do you listen to while making art?
MVP: I listen to a lot of audio books while I paint. It helps relax me and I concentrate better.

Michelle Vezina Peterlin with an artwork in-progress.

RP: What advice would you give your younger artist self?
MVP: What I would tell my younger self is to take more chances with your work and career. 

Michelle Vezina Peterlin. Studio detail.


Learn more about Michelle Vezina Peterlin: www.michellevezinapeterlin.com and
www.instagram.com/michellevezinapeterlin
____________________________

KELENE KARETSKI PIAZZA

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ “Creatures II” exhibition: Kelene Karetski Piazza, Brentwood, MO. “In the Window.” 2019. Acrylic on Canvas, 30”x30”. $310.
Artist’s statement: “My piece is about creatures looking out of their world into ours. Showing all creatures with nature. I go with the flow of my imagination to what the piece will be. These creatures work well together with how they live in the environment.”

Roxanne Phillips: What is it about the “Creatures II” theme that speaks to you?
Kelene Karetski Piazza: I thought my artwork would go well with the theme of "Creatures II ." My artwork is more on the non human like images. I like to incorporate nature into my work also. 


RP: What are some things that Art Saint Louis does for the community about which you find inspiration?  
KKP: Showcasing local artists. Giving different opportunities to showcase work. I think it's awesome for artists to have that chance to display their work.  

Kelene Karetski Piazza. “3 Uneven.” 2019. Acrylic on Canvas, 24”x24”. $250.

RP: Why did you choose the medium in which you work?
KKP: I like acrylic to paint with. I have used oil but a long time ago I switched to acrylic. 

Kelene Karetski Piazza. “Going Up.” 2019. Acrylic on Canvas, 14x16”. $200.

RP: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy the most?
KKP: Usually acrylic paint but I do a lot of illustrations with pen and pencil also.  

Kelene Karetski Piazza. “My Teddy Bear.” 2019. Acrylic on Canvas, 20”x26”. $350.

RP: Best advice you were ever given?
KKP: Be yourself and create your own art, don't try to duplicate others. 

Learn more about Kelen Karetski Piazza: http://sitekreator.com/buyart69/kelenes-paint-on-canvas.html and www.instagram.com/kelene_monsterlove  
____________________________

PHIL STRANG

About the artist: It was at least seven lifetimes ago when Phil Strang started to paint in the sixties. Through much of his life he limited himself to commercial artwork until his business passed away in 2004. Since then he has ridden his passion all over the artistic universe of his imagination. Always trying to reinvent himself and find something new. Mostly the artist paints with Pebeo paint on glass or with acrylic paint on canvas. Whatever comes to his mind is fair game and he hopes you will forgive him his madness and his excesses.

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ “Creatures II” in-gallery exhibition September 26-October 22, 2020: Phil Strang, Urbana, IL. “Kitty the Dog and Tempest the Cat.” 2019. Pebeo Paint on Glass, 11”x13”. $595.
Artist’s statement: “It was at least seven lifetimes ago when I started to paint in the sixties. Through much of my life I limited himself to commercial artwork until his business passed away in 2004. Since then I have ridden my passion all over the artistic universe of my imagination. Always trying to reinvent myself and find something new. Mostly I paint with Pebeo paint on glass or with acrylic paint on canvas. Whatever comes to my mind is fair game and I hope you will forgive me his madness and excesses.”


Roxanne Phillips: What is it about the “Creatures II” exhibit theme that speaks to you?

Phil Strang: I used to paint for Renaissance Faires and did dozens of dragons as well as a Phoenix, a Griffin and a Pegasus. Since then my animal paintings have been a bit more down to earth.

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ “Creatures II” in-gallery exhibition September 26-October 22, 2020: Phil Strang, Urbana, IL. “Chevaux Bleu.” 2019. Acrylic on Textured Canvas, 24”x24”. $699.


RP: Describe your artistic process/technique.
PS: I work in two distinct styles. I paint impressionistic paintings on glass (with Pebeo paints) and I paint abstracts of many styles on canvas (with acrylics) , many of which are textured with various texturing pastes.

Phil Strang. “Foellinger in the Fall.”


RP: What was it that first prompted your career/activity as an artist?
PS: In eighth grade I won a contest and was allowed to paint a 6’ square painting of Romeo and Juliet across from the school library. A few years later I painted a large Rousseau-like mural of jungle animals on my bedroom wall. Eventually I did commercial art for 30 years for Record Service, and then was set free to create what I wanted when the store went out of business.

Phil Strang. “Eyes of the Wild.”


RP: Do you think that creativity involves putting your heart and soul into your work?
PS: The trick is to put your heart and soul completely into your work so that your mind can flow free. I try to constantly create something I have never seen before.

Phil Strang. “Mesa Verde.”


RP: Why did you choose the medium in which you work?
PS: When my record store went out of business, I had hundreds of pieces of glass and decided I should paint on them. It took me about a year (and 125 paintings) to figure out what I was doing. Then I realized two things. When scanned the paintings on glass took on a 3-d effect, and that very few people were working with glass the way that I was.

Phil Strang's studio.


RP: Describe your studio space.
PS: I have two studios. A room upstairs with a desk on which I keep my paints and do all my smaller glass paintings and store my paintings. Then a second Studio in the garage where I work on larger pieces with canvases and acrylics. Who needs a place to keep my car?

Phil Strang. “Boomtown 1876.”


Phil Strang. “Arles Morning.”


RP: How has Coronavirus changed your art practice?
PS:  A few more darker images.

Phil Strang. “Lost Paradise.”


RP: What motivates you to continue making art?
PS: I have no choice I have to paint. Fortunately, my wife is very supportive and she gives me the time and space. There are always new ideas to try.
____________________________

SADHBH MOWLDS


Featured in Art Saint Louis’ “Creatures II” exhibition: Sadhbh Mowlds, Carbondale, IL. “Anonymous.” Silicone, Human Hair, Glass, 12”x13”x13”. $2,275. Honorable Mention recipient as selected by the exhibition Jurors.
Artist’s statement: “Born from the frustration of society's power to condition our consciousness, that which keeps us confined in modern standards of normal. Desire to belong, leaves us isolated and unidentifiable, boxed-in under the pressure to conform while losing our most unique attributes. The shame of standing out for unwanted reasons has led us to be stripped of our individualism, to become anonymous.”

About the artist: Sadhbh Mowlds is an Irish born visual artist currently based in Illinois. After receiving her bachelor in Glass from the National College of Art and Design, Dublin (2014) she left Ireland for Germany. There, she became part of the Berlin Glas team, working closely with artists and designers on one of a kind commissions, while also instructing outreach programs and workshops. In 2019 she moved to the U.S where she is currently a candidate for her MFA from Southern Illinois University Carbondale. She has participated in exhibitions, workshops and residencies internationally including: Penland School of Crafts, NC; BildWerk Frauenau, Germany; Berlin Glas; Germany; NCAD, Dublin and the Hunt Museum, Limerick.

Sadhbh Mowlds. “Biddy.” 2019. Foam, Faux Fur, Glass, 3’x1.5’x3.5’.


Roxanne Phillips: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy the most?
Sadhbh Mowlds: Despite being a mixed media artist, my background is working with glass, which remains a constant in most of my pieces. The way light and shadow play with glass, it's hardness and fragility, along with the almost endless processes and techniques involved in producing glass artwork, grasped my intrigue from the very beginning. Specifically, working with it while hot, is quite a magical, yet often frustrating, experience. It's completely enthralling.

Sadhbh Mowlds. “Sacred.” 2019. Silicone, Synthetic Hair, Glass, Foam, 21”x7.5”x4.5”

Sadhbh Mowlds. (detail view) “Sacred.” 2019. Silicone, Synthetic Hair, Glass, Foam, 21”x7.5”x4.5”

RP: When did you begin to know what your art is about?
SM: I still haven't fully grasped it! Every piece comes from a different place, but my unavoidable interest in anthropological studies and most things bodily act as a constant influence for work that often comments on perception and consciousness. My recent body of work explores these themes with more commitment.

Sadhbh Mowlds. “Pluck.” 2019. Vdeo Installation, Glass, Leg Hair, dimensions variable.

RP: What kind of music or books do you listen to while making art?
SM: Music is a huge part of my making process, I listen to all sorts of genres and artists while sculpting, mold-making or blowing glass. Each moment, process and head-space requires its own specific soundtrack. I listen to a lot of oldies: jazz, soul, funk, rock, pop. My all-time idol and art-making companion is Nina Simone.

Sadhbh Mowlds' studio.


Sadhbh Mowlds' studio.

RP: Describe your dream studio.
SM: For the last few years I've been dreaming about setting up my own self-sustaining, creative and educational centre in rural Europe (perhaps the west coast of Ireland) with facilities for glass, metal, stone, wood, ceramics, print, dance and culinary arts. A small farm on the land to harvest and forage organic foods would be the cherry on top. A distant dream, however, potentially made possible by non-stop grant writing!

Sadhbh Mowlds. “All Thumbs!” 2019. Blown Glass, 3’x1.5’x3.5’.

RP: What advice would you give your younger artist self?
SM: Don't be so hard on yourself, it's okay to not be as good as others. You'll get there, or somewhere else, in your own time. Stand up for your capabilities and never accept someone else making decisions for you or your career based on your gender, beliefs and anything else, for that matter.

Sadhbh Mowlds. “Creep.” 2019. Hot-Sculpted Glass, 18”x13”x3.5”.


Artist Sadhbh Mowlds.

Learn more about Sadhbh Mowlds: www.sadhbhmowlds.com and www.instagram.com/sadhbh.mowlds
____________________________

Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments