Interview with Linda Horsley

by Roxanne Phillips, MFA
Printmaker and Master Printer, Pele Prints

Linda Horsley. “Underneath.” 2018. Oil on Canvas, 36”x36”. 

Roxanne Phillips: What are you currently working on?
Linda Horsley: The present subject matter I am working on is “Feedings” with empty fuchsia bowls and human and animal figures. I do not always choose the images, for instance for many years I have painted scenes of water of flooding over and around the subject of global warming and layers of things in the earth. The subject just took over me. The recent presentation of empty bowls started with global food insecurity and a simple appreciation of the shape of a bowl that signals feeding time.

Linda Horsley. “Handmaiden.” 2017. Oil on Canvas, 50”x55”. 

RP: What do you find most challenging/rewarding about the creative process?
LH: I work on making images and their relationships to each other until the art-work takes on its own life. Each artwork evolves, giving me direction and speaks on its own. By the expression “its own life”, I experience something in the work that directs me towards the choices of image placement and color.

Linda Horsley. “Oroborus.” 2020. Oil on Canvas, 24”x24”. 

RP: How do you know when a piece of art is complete? 
LH: The idea of “Complete” does not exist in my artwork but rather a “Satisfactory resting place”. To date, I don’t believe there is a painting that I truly believe is “Complete.” Perhaps because the mind can keep adding and subtracting space, contrast, color.

Linda Horsley. “Tortoise Back.” 2020. Oil on Canvas, 24”x30”. 

RP: Do you think that creativity involves putting your heart and soul into your work? Or is it more like letting your mind flow freely to witness the surprising results of your ac-tions?
LH: There are surprising results on occasion. Creating paintings require putting in the work and reviewing it constantly. For example, I must stand away from my work and review it to make changes until I am exhausted or have exhausted the possibilities that I can see.

Linda Horsley’s studio. June 2020.

RP: Is there an item in your studio you like so much you could eat it, what is it and what would it taste like?
LH: I present artwork on a 2-d surface using color, mind and linear perspectives to create some 3-D space. I usually do not create from directly looking at the physical images in my studio or elsewhere, however they can and do influence me. I recall images of people, animals, and invent them also. On occasion I look at photos for information. In my studio I have an old oak rolling office chair, (a gift). I love the support of this chair and its image. I need com-fort when I work and sometimes I just eat color and indirectly, the paints. When I need more comfort, I relax making 3-d Clay images and fire them in my kiln. Indirectly, I eat clay too. I am fed by all Art. Seems now appropriate in 2020 to paint "Feedings"............
____________________________

Linda Horsley received her BFA from the University of Washington and MFA from Northwestern University. Linda has taught Basic Design at Northwestern University and Color Theory, Design, Drawing and Perspective, Analysis of Form, Concept art for Animation & Game Arts, and Character Design at Cornish College of the Arts and the Art Institute of Seattle. Her works have been exhibited in solo and group shows in the U.S. and Italy. Public art projects include works for Pike Place Market, Seattle Downtown Association, and Metro Arts in Transit. Her works are in numerous private and public collections throughout the U.S. including City Museum, Pulitzer Foundation, and Kemper Insurance.  Linda has organized exhibitions, commissioned public artworks, and created special events including poetry readings, music and dance performances. She is a founding member of City Museum in St. Louis where she served as Event & Exhibit Coordinator as well as Assistant Director for the City Museum’s St. Louis Architecture Museum. A published artist, Linda wrote and illustrated Nature’s Play (2002) and illustrated Dancer, the Little Dog from Mayaro Beach, M. Gordon, author (1991). In addition to St. Louis and the Northwest U.S., Horsley has lived in West Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, and traveled extensively through Western Europe over the course of 30 years.
Learn more about Linda Horsley: http://lindahorsley.com/
____________________________

Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer and since 2018 as Master Printer for Pele Prints. She also works as adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.  

Comments