Interview with Angela Weis

by Roxanne Phillips, MFA
Printmaker and Master Printer, Pele Prints

Angela Weis. “Wonder.” 2019. Oil on Masonite, 14”x14.75”. $500.

Roxanne Phillips: Describe your artistic process/technique.
Angela Weis: I have a great love of process. Oftentimes, the end piece doesn't even matter as much as the journey. I studied acrylic and oil painting in school but fell deeply in love with charcoal drawing as I matured. Charcoal is forgiving, meditative, and honestly the most beautiful medium I have ever worked with. I'll draw out an image and carve out the lighter values with erasers and build up the darker values with expressive marks. It makes a mess but every step adds up to a history that is so important to my final work.

Angela Weis. “Need.” 2020. Charcoal on Toned Paper. 11”x14”. $125.

RP: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork?
AW: Humanity. I find desire, hope, and every facet of relationships breathtaking. There is something beautiful in representing our humanity and dropping my subjects in situations that expose our need for meaning and connection. In my Lightbringer Series, each magical creature seeks answers in the ephemeral while in my Sapphic series, the figures find comfort and love in relationships.

Angela Weis. “Monique's Elegant Hand.” 2020. Charcoal on Toned Paper. 12”x11”. $125.

RP: What do you do to support your art and how does that impact your art practice?
AW: I teach art classes at the St. Louis Artists' Guild, do commissions, and offer private art lessons. It isn't enough to fully support me so I also run a senior center during the day. It is exhausting to split myself in so many directions but it is what I have to do to make ends meet. That exhaustion shows up in my drive to create and I have to force myself to get in the studio after a long day. I hope to eventually teach and create full time. 

Angela Weis' studio.

RP: Describe your dream studio.
AW: My dream studio would have a sky light, proper storage for all my work, and multiple beds for my needy cats! I would love to have a bigger space for private lessons or art groups. Art is about community and shared experience and it would be great to have a welcoming space where I could host art nights for groups to enjoy art with me. 

Artist Angela Weis.

RP: Is there an item in your studio you like so much you could eat it, what is it and what would it taste like?
AW: My spouse and I run Candle Chronicles, a geeky candle business, and I usually have one burning on my desk. Right now it is Luck Potion and smells of honeysuckle, lemongrass, and good fortune. I imagine the texture to be similar to champagne and the taste to be equal parts honey and citrus. 
____________________________

Angela Dee Weis received her BA in Art History and BFA in painting at Southern Illinois University Carbondale then moved to St. Louis for her MA from Fontbonne University. She currently works in charcoal and oil while she unabashedly continues her true love of expressive mark making and exploring humanity. Her Lightbringer Series brings ephemeral fantasies to life while her Saphic series elevates the everyday, loving companionship of friends. Weis currently lives, creates, and teaches in St. Louis, Missouri.
Learn more about Angela Weis: www.instagram.com/angeladeeweis/
 and https://www.facebook.com/angeladeeweis/
____________________________

Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer and since 2018 as Master Printer for Pele Prints. She also works as adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.  

Comments