Artist Interview with Roxanne Phillips

by Roxanne Phillips, MFA
Printmaker and Master Printer, Pele Prints



Roxanne Phillips photographed at Art Saint Louis & Catalyst Coffee Bar.

During this downtime while the
Art Saint Louis Gallery is temporarily closed, ASL's Administrative Assistant & Installer Roxanne Phillips is taking the opportunity to interview STL regional artists for this blog, asking key questions about their work & careers. We begin this new series with a self-interview: Roxanne interviews Roxanne.

What advice would you give your younger artist self? When I was in school, the advice I was given was to get an art degree, get a teaching position, find a gallery to represent my art. I would tell my younger self: more business classes, stay current on the computer skills, try to find a gallery but don’t be afraid to market yourself directly to the world. Most people shop directly through their computer, you just need to make it easy for them to find you. Plus, there is whole other world of art consultants whose job it is to find art for their clients.

What qualities attract you to other artist pieces? When in a gallery I normally make a quick walk around then go back and spend time with the pieces I like the best. Usually these pieces have some kind of incomplete narrative, some kind of mystery that lets my imagination complete the next part of the story. I also love line work.


Roxanne Phillips' basement printmaking studio. Photo courtesy of the artist.

Describe your studio space – size, location, set up, what qualities must it have, what would you change? My basement is where I have my printing press and flat files. The working space is fairly small but there is lots of storage for supplies, and framed pieces. This is where I print. If I’m working on a drawing I’m most likely at the dining room table, if carving a linoleum block I’ll be on the couch carving at the coffee table while an old movie plays.
 

Roxanne Phillips. Works in-progress on the dining room table. Photo courtesy of the artist.

Do you have a sketchbook? What kinds of things do you put in it? I do use sketchbook but rarely do I actually sketch. Inside the book are lots of list – some are “things to do” list, others are brainstorming, word list, which trigger images in my mind. For images I often use my phone camera for “sketching”.

What was it that first prompted your career/activity as an artist? I declared to the world, my family, when I was in second grade that I was going to be an artist. Everything I’ve done since then was to be an artist. It determined what schools I chose to go to, where to live, which jobs – or how many jobs I worked to support my art. It’s all I have ever wanted.


Roxanne Phillips. Night Driving. 2012. Edition of 19. Reductive Relief, 11”x13”. $120 unframed. Photo courtesy of the artist.

What is your personal favorite art piece that you created? To pick one I went to my flat files, opened a drawer and told myself to pick. I chose this one (Night Driving) because I've always liked driving. The freedom to roam around, get places with ease, and road trips are my favorite thinking place. During this stay at home order I am missing driving.


____________________________

Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. She has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer and since 2018 as Master Printer for Pele Prints. She also works as adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments