“Footprint” Exhibit - Artist Interview Series One

By Roxanne Phillips

We present to you a new series of interviews with artists whose works are featured in our new juried exhibit at Art Saint Louis, "Footprint." This exhibit presents works by 38 St. Louis regional artists from Missouri and Illinois and is on view September 25-October 21, 2021 at Art Saint Louis, 1223 Pine Street in downtown St. Louis, Missouri.

We are pleased to introduce you to featured artists Stephen Da Lay, Kim Bouldin-Jones, and Kalina Mondzholovska.
____________________________
STEPHEN DA LAY

Featured in Art Saint Louis in-Gallery exhibit, “Footprint” (September 25-October 21, 2021): Stephen Da Lay, Shrewsbury, MO. “nonsense.” 2021. Mokulito/Waterless Litho on Paper, 23.25”x16.125”. $875.
Artist’s statement: “For several years, my work has been focused on the construction and the development of polyhedrons using printmaking  to construct the printed pattern into 3-d shapes. First, I construct an object from cubes or tetrahedrons. Second, I visually disassemble the piece to produce a  flat paper pattern of the model on one sheet of paper that is unbroken and then reassemble the pattern to create the maquette.”

Roxanne Phillips: Describe your artistic process/technique.
Stephen Da Lay: Practice is the Process, by which Discipline may achieve Creativity.
This statement is on my web site. I created it to recite to my students at the beginning of the each semester. I wanted to convey this message that creativity doesn’t come out of thin air even with a propensity to make art. Artwork needs to be fed and nurtured.

Stephen Da Lay. “Nautilus.” Print, Mokulito/Relief Print, 12”x22”. $1,050 unframed.

Stephen Da Lay. “Rational Man.” Print, Mokulito, 11”x17”. $775 unframed.

RP: While working on an artwork, when is it most enjoyable: the beginning, in the middle, or the final moment?
SD: The practice, the process, and the discipline are all enjoyable.

Stephen Da Lay. “Hyper Plus.” Print, Mokulito, 11”x17”. $775 unframed.

RP: What color infuriates you...which color do you gravitate towards?
SD: No color infuriates me. I gravitate toward RED, YELLOW, and BLUE but not always in that order.

Stephen Da Lay. “Confidently Say.” Print, Mokulito/Relief Print/Waterless Litho, 17”x22”. $1,575 unframed.

RP: How often do you have to explain what an Artist does, or do people understand what's involved?
SD: When I was younger, I took offense to being asked what an artist does. At this time in my life, I enjoy talking about art. I talk about the practice, the process, and the discipline.

Stephen Da Lay. “Conch 8.” Print, Mokulito/Relief Print, 12”x22”. $1,050 unframed.

RP: Do you prefer to make one specific piece or a series of pieces/body of work?
SD: I prefer to work with a series of related images because a series gives me a chance to explore ideas and lets the work evolve on its own.

Stephen Da Lay. “108A.” Print, Mokulito, 11”x17”. $775 unframed.

RP: Why do you make art?
SD: I have a number of sarcastic answers. But the truth of the matter is creating my artwork gives me joy and keeps me grounded.

Stephen Da Lay. “Among the three.” Print, Mokulito/Waterless Litho, 11”x17”. $775 unframed.

Artist’s Statement:
My inspiration to design and build polyhedrons came from my childhood letter and number blocks. For several  years, my work has been focused on the construction and the development of polyhedrons using printmaking. When I first began exploring polyhedrons, I used pre-existing patterns. Soon it became apparent to me that I needed to create my own designs. First, I construct an object out of cubes. Then I visually disassemble the piece to produce a pattern of the object on one sheet of paper so it can be reassembled. Moreover, I have been drawn to mathematics and how numbers make and predict patterns including symmetry involving balance. Also, the prints use imagery from the double helix that define DNA strands. Along with famous quotes that are placed in the work that are coded, made with ciphers along with plain text convey my ideas to the viewer.
Stephen Da Lay. “What you think you Become.” Print, Mokulito/Screen Print, 8.25”x11.75”. $350 unframed.

Learn more about Stephen Da Lay
: http://blackandwhitepress.org and www.instagram.com/bluextime/
____________________________
KIM BOULDIN-JONES
Featured in Art Saint Louis in-Gallery exhibit, “Footprint” (September 25-October 21, 2021): Kim Bouldin-Jones, St. Charles, MO. “Art and Feet.” 2021. Mixed Media Photograph, 18”x18”. $500.
Artist’s statement: “This work is a photograph of an original artwork that I made, in a hand-colored ‘still life with feet’ setting. The Time magazine with the masked people on the cover shows the timeframe as to when this piece was created.”

Roxanne Phillips: Criticism: friend...foe...or is it your muse back talking to you?
Kim Bouldin-Jones: I like criticism because it makes you look at things differently. Sometimes it can strengthen your work, so you must be open about receiving it!

Kim Bouldin-Jones. “The World Shuts Down...” 2020. Mixed Media Collage, 24”x24”. $3,200.

RP: What color infuriates you...which color do you gravitate towards?
KB-J: I am not a yellow fan! She can be difficult and take over! She demands attention which sometime she doesn’t need to be the star of the show. But I have to admit sometimes she can surprise me and work with me and not against me. Blue is my best friend, it is always there when I need it. Blue shows up with cookies and coffee every time!

Kim Bouldin-Jones. “Some People Only See The Flowers.” 2021. Mixed Media Canvas Acrylic, Watercolor Markers, Collage, 12”x12”. $1,200.

RP: While working on an artwork, when is it most enjoyable: the beginning, in the middle, or the final moment?
KB-J: I love the middle, when you can start to see things take shape.

Kim Bouldin-Jones. “Painted Quilt.” 2020. Mixed Media Canvas Collage, 36”x36”. $3,500.

RP: What steadfast rules have you broken?
KB-J: I paint in my bed all the time. Who does that?? I do!! Then when I am tired, I just turn off the light!!
Kim Bouldin-Jones. “I Squared.” 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 12”x12”. $1,200

RP: What is the most challenging technique you’ve mastered or wish to master?
KB-J: Resin is a totally learning process, each time I do something really right or really wrong. I love the surprise of the process and what it teaches me.

Kim Bouldin-Jones. “What’s the M stand for?” 2021. Acrylic with Resin on Canvas, 12”x36”. $3,200.

RP: Do you tread lightly or heavy-footed with your art?
KB-J: I think I am pedal to the medal person in most everything I do. Go Big or shut up!!

Kim Bouldin-Jones. “One Tree Just Different Branches.” 2020. Mixed Media Collage on Canvas, 24”x24”. $4,500.

RP: How/when do you know when an artwork is finished?
KB-J: I think there is a moment when you look at  a piece and think, if I continue, I will be taking away from it and not adding. That last mark you make on it feels useless.  It is time to stop and move onto something else.
Kim Bouldin-Jones. “Blocks.” 2021 Acrylic on Canvas, 24”x36”. $2,500.

RP: Of all the materials with which you work, which material smells the best?
KB-J: Rubber Cement!!!  
St. Louis-based artist Kim Bouldin-Jones.

Learn more about Kim Bouldin-Jones: www.instagram.com/hang.ingtime
____________________________
KALINA MONDZHOLOVSKA
Honorable Mention recipient in Art Saint Louis “Footprint” exhibition: Kalina Mondzholovska, St. Louis, MO. “Flower Eyes.” 2018. Photograph on Paper, 15”x21”. $150.
Artist’s statement: “As a visual artist, I practice photography, drawing, painting, film and digital media. My work depicts various aspects of the human experience, with some series specifically reflecting on modern western society, consumerism, and our relationship with nature, be it physical or spiritual.”

Featured in Art Saint Louis in-Gallery exhibit, “Footprint”: Kalina Mondzholovska, St. Louis, MO. “Discarded.” 2018. Photograph on Paper, 17”x25”. $150.
Artist’s statement: “As a visual artist, I practice photography, drawing, painting, film, and digital media. My work depicts various aspects of the human experience, with some series specifically reflecting on modern western society, consumerism, and our relationship with nature, be it physical or spiritual.”

Roxanne Phillips: As an artist, what footprint do you hope or intend to leave with your art on St. Louis or even with the world at-large?
Kalina Mondzholovska: I hope that my art, in whatever form that may be, does what art needs to do: get the viewer's attention, provoke thought or emotion and ultimately have the viewer see themselves in it. I think art is meant to start a conversation, be it outer or inner dialogue.

Kalina Mondzholovska. "Introspection." 2020. Digital Drawing, 16"x20”. $60  (unframed print).

RP: When do your best ideas come to you?
KM: My best ideas come spontaneously and intuitively in the moment, and often connected with music I'm listening to. That can be on a walk, while driving or riding the train, if I'm listening to a track that really speaks to me, my mind automatically goes into stories, visuals or just an idea.

Kalina Mondzholovska. "Mindful." 2021. Pen, Pencil, Charcoal, Marker on Chipboard, 30"x40". $1,100  (unframed print).

RP: Criticism: friend...foe...or is it your muse back talking to you?
KM: I love and hate criticism, but prefer it as long as it is constructive. Of course to hear criticism about my work is tough because I am a perfectionist and far from where I want to be, but I also don't take it personally and kind of thrive on it. I have a much harder time when people tell me how much they love my art because I never know what needs to be improved and how I can challenge myself to be better, but it is a great confidence booster.

St. Louis-based artist Kalina Mondzholovska's studio space.

RP: How/when do you know when an artwork is finished?
KM: I actually have a much harder time starting an artwork than finishing it. It is once again an intuitive sense of looking at a piece and feeling it's complete, it's not too empty or too busy, composition looks good and nothing looks unintentionally finished. Outside of a few pieces that I've gotten stuck on, I am very quick to call it finished because I can't wait to move on to the next one usually.
Kalina Mondzholovska. "Persephone." 2020. Photograph, 16"x24", $60 (unframed print).

RP: What is the most challenging technique you’ve mastered or wish to master?
KM: I really wish to learn and master a 3D/CGI software such as Cinema 4D in order to use it in combination with photography and video. It is mind blowing how far software has come and how photorealistic things can be made, from an object to a whole world or set.

Kalina Mondzholovska. "Catharsis." 2015. Pen, Pencil on Chipboard, 30"x40". $950 (unframed).

RP: Thick lines, thin lines or no lines?
KM: All the lines. I love using a combination of thick solid lines and shapes to really thin lines in my drawings. 

Kalina Mondzholovska. "Moth Man." 2017. Pen, Pencil on Chipboard, 30"x40". $1,100 (unframed print).

RP: Of all the materials with which you work, which material smells the best?
KM: Oil paint, and that's the material I use the least.   

RP: How often do you have to explain what an Artist does, or do people understand what’s involved?
KM
: I think the average person has one idea of what art is and that's a painting of a nice vase with flowers or the Mona Lisa or a pretty landscape. I just don't bother to explain anymore unless I sense I am talking to a person who likes art and is more knowledgeable of the art world as a whole. A lot of people don't take artists seriously either while others greatly respect it as a profession. I especially try not to explain my art other than to say "It's a bit dark, you may or may not like it."

Kalina Mondzholovska's creative work space.

RP: While working on an artwork, when is it most enjoyable: the beginning, in the middle, or the final moment?
KM: For me, the final moment, because what started as a thought is now a real, tangible thing.

RP: Why do some artists stop creating and have you ever come close to that point?
KM: I have created on and off my whole life and for me it was initially financial reasons. When I used to work in an office years ago, I didn't create anything for two years. Once I quit that job and became a photo and video editor commercially, I had more time to create. However, if my brain is focused on much more analytical tasks and having "a full time job" unrelated to art, I slowly start becoming less and less creative, a lot like a muscle you stop training. I have created a lot more in the last 2-3 years just from being self-employed and having my own commercial business in commercial photography and video but is still tough to juggle the two. Creativity feeds more creativity and many artists stop creating because they don't have the time, lack the discipline and self-confidence or even just the business aspect of art like networking, applying to galleries, marketing online, so on. Even things as simple as stress and anxiety have been dubbed the greatest enemy of creativity and imagination.

RP: Does your artwork make people do double takes when they look at it?
KM: Yes, especially my drawings. There are a lot of details that appear the longer you look at them.

Kalina Mondzholovska. "Deteriorate.” 2019. Photograph, 24"x32", $140 (unframed print).

RP: Why do you make art?
KM: Art has the power to communicate multiple ideas simultaneously to the most complex experiences and emotions better than any words ever will. Art is timeless and one of the most important methods of human expression. For me verbal communication has always been much more difficult than what I can express in one image, drawing or whatever medium I'm exploring.

St. Louis artist Kalina Mondzholovska.

Learn more about Kalina Mondzholovska
: www.kalinapm.com and www.instagram.com/kalina.pm/
____________________________
Roxanne Phillips
is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant, ArtLoupe Manager, and Exhibitions Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments