"Humanity" Artist Artist Interview - Series One

We are pleased to present an interview with Ann Croghan conducted by Art Saint Louis Fall 2021 Intern Allison Carnell. Croghan's work is currently featured in our Art Saint Louis virtual gallery exhibit: "Humanity." This juried exhibit is presented exclusively online from October 1 to December 1, 2021. Ann is one of 33 artists with works featured in this unique online exhibit. You can view the virtual exhibit and all 46 featured artworks on our website here and in our Facebook album here.
____________________________

ANN D. CROGHAN

Featured in Art Saint Louis' virtual gallery exhibit, “Humanity” (October 1-December 1, 2021): Ann Croghan, St. Charles, MO. “Candles of the Night.” 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 28”x40”. $2,800 unframed.
Artist’s statement: “My paintings are a reflection or interpretation of "the life force." The One who created us and the One who will receive us at the end of life. I see God's grace and mercy in the light after a storm. I see the light in my paintings as God's beckoning to Heaven.”

Allison Carnell: What about the theme “Humanity” drew you to the show?
Ann D. Croghan: The topic included “life force” as part of the description and I feel my artwork represents my interpretation of the life force which I choose to call God.

AC: How do your abstract paintings depict the theme “Humanity”?
ADC: Our human experience also includes our spiritual life. I draw inspiration from nature, clouds, and the universe to express feelings of joy, peace, divine grace, and hope. I see God in the sky. When looking at the sky after a storm I see the light that comes through the clouds as God’s Grace – my paintings reflect the life force that gives us this grace and calls us in the end.

AC: What drew you to abstraction? How did you develop this style?
ADC: As an undergraduate student going to the Saint Louis Art Museum and seeing the abstract art, I was interested in what made that “art.” When I asked the professor, he explained it was about the art concepts of composition, unity, rhythm, space, line, shape, color, and depth that create a painting. I wanted to understand this more so I started exploring this with realism, but I knew I could paint realistically so I chose to paint in abstraction because it is more challenging to get the answer to my question of God and who is God. 

AC: How does your fascination with color work to express the themes in your art?
ADC: I’ve loved colors since I was a small child using Crayola’s wondering about the difference in blue/green and green/blue or red/orange and orange/red. I use color today to express the sublime feelings of joy, peace, divine grace, and hope. The light is always God in my paintings. I use the light in contrast with the darker colors but even within the darkest areas of my paintings there is a sense of hope within the light and colors.

AC: What first prompted you to explore your relationship with God through art?
ADC: I didn’t consciously start off thinking I would paint my relationship with God. It’s something that has developed over time. As my relationship with God grew, it started to appear more and more in my work.
 
I am an intuitive painter. I say a prayer before I begin a painting, and while I paint, I ask for guidance.

AC: How do you want the viewer to interpret your art and do you have trouble achieving this desired interpretation?
ADC: I want my paintings to captivate the viewer in a positive way and to help them feel closer to the heavens. My abstract paintings are often described as ethereal and emotionally evocative.

AC: Has your teaching career hindered or set back your art practice?
ADC: My teaching career has not hindered my art. Teaching has allowed me to explore many different mediums, allowing me to experiment with different painting and drawing techniques. I experiment with the various mediums to help direct and encourage my students in the style and techniques they want to pursue. I can then return to work in my own style. It feels like the best of two worlds – I get to paint like me and explore other styles at the same time.

Learn more about Ann D. Croghan: www.anndcroghanart.com/ and www.instagram.com/anncroghanart/ and www.facebook.com/ann.croghan.9
____________________________
Allison Carnell
is Art Saint Louis' Fall 2021 Intern and is a senior at McKendree University, Lebanon, IL.

Comments