"Hope" Artist Interviews Series Seven

By Roxanne Phillips 

We are pleased to present our seventh (and final) series of interviews with artists whose works are featured in our current virtual/online exhibit presented by Art Saint Louis, "Hope" (February 1-April 1, 2021). You can view all the virtual exhibit as well as all 48 featured artworks on our website here and in our Facebook album here.

We proudly introduce you to featured artists Byron Rogers and Susan Zimmerman.
____________________________

BYRON ROGERS

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ virtual exhibit, “Hope”: Byron D. Rogers, St. Louis, MO. “Rejoice.” 2020. Oil on Canvas, 16”x20”. SOLD.
Artist’s statement: “Rejoice” is a piece I created during COVID. This piece represents my faith during this unprecedented time. There are moments in our lives that call for us to rely on something or someone greater than ourselves. It is in times like these we must find peace during the storm.”

About the artist: I have been an artist and art educator for 18 years. I am also the founder of Be Art Gallery and Studio, a non-profit art organization focused on providing art workshops and guided instructions to youth. I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Art History from Webster University, a Master’s Degree from Fontbonne University in Studio Art, and an additional Master’s Degree in Education from the University of Missouri St. Louis. I am committed to educating and sharing the arts with my community.

Byron Rogers. “Jukejoint I.”  2010. Oil on Canvas, 24”x36”. Sold.


Roxanne Phillips: Describe your artistic process/technique
.
Byron Rogers: I really don’t have a specific art process or technique. A lot of my earlier work stems from projects I started as demos for my art class. I did not start off with the intentions of producing a work of art, many times it was the motivation of inspiring and teaching a technique to my students. I just adapted that same process to my current work. A lot of times I come up with an idea and I think which medium would be best to relay my message and connect best with the viewer.

Byron Rogers. “Jukejoint 2.” 2016. Oil on Canvas, 24”x36”. Sold.

When I produce work, I feel it always has to connect and tell a story. For me I feel if you don’t feel some type of emotion that sparks an idea, recall a memory or inspires you to act, I have not done my job. Once I have an idea it is all about researching and finding elements that I can incorporate in the image, either in background or a part of main focal point to help get my message across. I work in printmaking, painting on wood or canvas, it depends on if I want to cut into wood to create texture or visual effect or a basic drawing. I do work graphically but not too often, mainly for books and logos. Once I determined the process I go to work.

Byron Rogers. “Altar Call.” 2021. Oil on Canvas, 16”x20”. Sold.


RP: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork?

BR: The biggest part of my inspiration is God. I come from a very religious family. Church is the largest part of my life. I come from a long line of pastors, ministers, gospel singers and musicians. I myself is a church musician, so a lot of my work speaks and ministers to that truth. A lot of the imagery that is portrayed in my work are inspired by sermons, church services, rehearsals and or just some of the testimonies I encountered from family and friends.

The style in which I create my work is by seeing some of the great African American artist of the Harlem Renaissance and others like Ernie Barnes, Thomas Hart Benton and how they exaggerated the human form encouraged my style. More inspiration came from my years of studying Art History at Webster University, seeing and experiencing artist that included lots of  details in their paintings like Caravaggio, Van Eyck, Rembrandt, El Greco, David, and many others inspired that desire to include icons and symbols in my work that would encourage clues and messages that help tell the story along. I am deliberate in how I express my human figures by exaggerating facial expression and gestures.

Byron Rogers. “Sharecropper Blues.” 2014. Oil on Wood, 18”x24”. Sold.


RP: Why do you make art?

BR: The main reason I make art is because it helped me deal with my anger and other personal issues growing up. When I created art or played music, it was calming and peaceful. It gave me an opportunity to express my emotions that I could not otherwise express appropriately. Art became my lifeline, it was like therapy for me and it helped me through a rough part of my life and it continues today. Art is like my refugee from the stresses and complication of this world.

Creating art is like my ministry. Through it I can share so much of my love, passions, thoughts, fears etc.. It is my voice. I am not one that have the vocabulary or special words for speaking but through art it allows me to speak my truth, voice my opinion and to digress on topics and resolve for myself questions. But Most importantly it allows me to connect to people in a unique and creative way.

Artist Byron Rogers' St. Louis-based art studio.


RP: What is the biggest challenge with being an artist and juggling all life throws at you?

BR: For me, one of the biggest challenges trying to pursue a career in art, is having to balance a career in teaching, build and manage my own non- profit organization, along with being a husband and father. I have to find time or be purposeful in creating time to create art. Not all the time do it work for me. If I start a piece, it may take me twice as long to complete because I have so many other hats I wear that is just as important and demanding as well.

For the past two years I have founded, managed and worked my own non -profit Be Art Gallery and Studio, were I partner with area organization to conduct and teach art workshops, I maintain a leadership role at church, work full-time as an art teacher and I am a husband and father of four, the youngest being special needs. It is a lot to manage in this life but God gives me the strength and the gift of art to be my way of escape. But I cannot go to many days without producing something or working out an idea, because I would go crazy.

Byron Rogers. “St. Louis Smooth Jazz.” 2020. Oil on Canvas, 24”x36”. Sold.


RP: What motivates you to continue making art?

BR: My motivation to create is simply my love for art and the opportunity to share my love. I feel it is a God given gift that should not be wasted. I get excited when ideas and concepts hit me. The thrill of the journey of seeing an idea, imagination or dream come alive before me is a rush like no other. I don’t need artificial motivators or drugs to get me high, Art is my high. I see more clearer, it is relaxing,and calming. Plus, I can get lost for hours when I am in that zone of creating. That feeling alone is my motivation.

St. Louis artist, art educator and non-profit art organization founder Byron Rogers.

Learn more about Byron Rogers: https://bdrlucky.wixsite.com/byronrogers and www.facebook.com/byron.rogers.96 and www.instagram.com/bdrlucky and www.bagsincstlouis.org
____________________________

SUSAN ZIMMERMAN

Featured in Art Saint Louis’ virtual exhibit, “Hope” (February 1-April 1, 2021): Susan Zimmerman, St. Louis, MO. “Clenched Courage.” 2020. Photograph on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Archival Paper, 18”x24”. $250 unframed.
“Artist’s statement: I photographed “Clenched Courage” using natural light and shadow to emphasize the atmosphere and texture of the work. The image in the photograph is composed of a smoke-fired porcelain sculpture of a hand that I created. Combining ceramics with photography adds a unique dimension to my art.”


About the artist
: As a ceramicist and photographer I have my hands in two media. My organic and figurative handbuilt sculptures are a fusion of contemporary and ancient which are then smokefired. Creating my clayscape photography involves "resculpting" the finished work, using natural light and shadow, to view the piece in a new way. Combining sculpture and photography adds a unique dimension to my work.

Susan Zimmerman. “Struggle Interrupted.” 2019. Photograph, 18”x24”. $250 unframed.

Susan Zimmerman. “Chaos.” 2021. Red Mica Clay, 13”x7”. $800.

Roxanne Phillips: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork?
Susan Zimmerman: A source of inspiration for a piece often comes from a spontaneous thought about a personal experience or an event going on in the world. These ideas in turn influence my work.

Susan Zimmerman smokefiring  ceramic work in Taos, New Mexico.

Susan Zimmerman's indoor studio while serving an artist residency in Taos, NM.


RP: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy most?

SZ: Transforming a chunk of clay into sculpture is like unearthing a precious find. Digging my hands into clay is where I find meaning.

RP: Why do you make art?
SZ: Sometimes I ask myself why make another piece – the answer is always the same, because working in clay is my language of expression. Each piece has a story.

Susan Zimmerman. “Body Language.” 2019. Photograph, 18”x24”. $250 unframed.

Susan Zimmerman. “Blossom in Balance.” 2019. Smokefired Porcelain, 12”x11”. $800 NFS.


RP: What motivates you to continue you making art?
SZ: The process of finding my voice in a new piece is exciting. Starting with a ball of clay and seeing what it becomes is a journey of discovery.

Susan Zimmerman. “Thinking of Hedy.” 2019. Smokefired Porcelain, 14”x11”. NFS.


RP: Has rejection ever affected your creative process? If so, how?
SZ
: Putting myself out there and open to possibilities, including rejection, has always led to my growth as an artist. Rejection is an opportunity to see something in a different light and move ahead.

St. Louis-based artist Susan Zimmerman photographed in Taos, New Mexico.

Learn more about Susan Zimmerman: www.susanzimmermanart.com and www.facebook.com/susanzimmermanart
____________________________
Roxanne Phillips
is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments