Interview with Artist Andrew Rola

by Roxanne Phillips

Andrew Rola. "Silent Spring." 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 8"x10". $125.


About the artist: St. Louis-based artist Andrew Rola fuses traditional painting, drawing, and printmaking techniques with modern technology, animations, and visual effects to bring his unique creations to life. Drawing from his background in mathematics, engineering, music, education, and art, Andrew continues to grow his ever evolving world of surreal landscapes, impossible machines, and imaginative creatures, while striving to improve his techniques and learn new skills to fully realize his visions.

Andrew Rola. “Flutter By the Thistle.” 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 30”x40”. $550.

Roxanne Phillips: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork?
Andrew Rola: The thing that drives me most is simply wanting to honor the younger me, that five year old kid with a huge imagination, who wanted nothing more than to be an artist. I mostly paint  things that I think he would think were awesome, things that he would be amazed by, that he wouldn’t believe he’d be able to do one day.

Andrew Rola. “Cabin Fever.” 2020. Acrylic on Birch Panel, 24”x24”. Sold.


RP: Describe your path from deciding you want to be an artist to becoming one.
AR: I took the extra long path. Though I always knew that being an artist was what I wanted, I never had the faith in myself that I could actually make it happen. So, over the course of 20 years I tried every other path I could think of, trying to find something that would work. Eventually, after being a chef, musician, teacher, and dabbling in engineering and graphic design, I found myself right back where I started, wanting to be an artist. 

Andrew Roal. “Seeds of the Future.” 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 24”x30”. $475.


RP: What is it that you are most eager to convey through your art/ how do you want the viewer to receive or interpret or your art?
AR: More than trying to convey a meaning or a message, I want to give viewers a look into my world. It’s a world full of imagination and wonder, where anything you can dream can become possible. My paintings aren’t meant to be a single story in themselves, but rather snapshots along the way of a much larger, interconnecting world of stories. I see my art as a place where anyone can add their own narrative or meaning in the world I have created.

Andrew Rola. “Elephante.” 2020. Limited edition (10) Linocut Hand Print on Paper, 8”x10”. $50 framed.


RP: What is your preferred way to exhibit and sell your art?
AR: I love to be able to sell my art in person at exhibitions, shows, or festivals, where I’m able to connect with people, talk about my art, and get feedback about what they see or feel when they look at my art. It seems weird sometimes selling online to strangers, not knowing where my artwork is going, but it’s part of the business I’m getting used to.

Andrew Rola. “Albert.” 2020. Acrylic on Canvas, 24”x30”. $475.


RP: Do you have a sketchbook? What kinds of things do you put in it?
AR: I have many sketchbooks. I always seem to have one around just in case. However, that just in case moment never seems to happen. All my sketchbooks are virtually empty, other than a few math equations scribbled here and there. Sometimes I open them with the intent of planning out a larger painting, but end up doing all the work in my head. I then move straight to the canvas to begin my work, leaving a blank page in my sketchbook.

Artist Andrew Rola in his St. Louis area studio.


RP: Do you have a studio routine? Most creative time of day to work? Process of thinking or setting up before you begin making?
AR: I seem to do my best work at night when the world around me is asleep, when everything is quiet. It gives me the sense that I am all alone, free to create the world as a I please. I often begin by playing some piano to get my mind into the creative space.

Andrew Rola. “Piano Trap.” 2020. Acrylic on Birch panel, 18”x24”. $350.


RP: On what are you currently working?
AR: I perpetually seem to find myself in the middle of many projects. I am currently working on a series of linocut prints and trying to improve my printmaking techniques. I Also have a few larger projects in the works, such as a series of paintings that will come to life, allowing you to actually step inside using virtual reality technology- The 5 year old me would have loved it.

St. Louis-based artist Andrew Rola with recent work.


RP: What motivates you to continue making art?

AR: I’ve tried everything else, but art just won’t leave me alone. I’ve given up the fight.

Artist Andrew Rola.


Learn more about Andrew Rola: www.andrewrola.com and www.facebook.com/arola.art
and www.instagram.com/andrew_rola.art
____________________________

Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fascinating work! I would love to see these pieces in person.
Tom Blood said…
Love your work, Andrew. From the first time I saw it, I was intrigued. Keep going. Your journey will take you many places and we all get to come along for the ride.