Art Saint Louis “Human Touch” Exhibit Artists Q&A Series Four

By Roxanne Phillips

We are pleased to offer a our final interview in our series featuring artists whose works are featured in our virtual exhibit, "Human Touch." We introduce you to Illinois-based artist Sean Hoisington.
____________________________


SEAN HOISINGTON

Featured in Art Saint Louis “Human Touch” virtual exhibit: Sean Hoisington, Carbondale, IL. “The Pharmacy.” 2020. Digital Photography on Archival Paper, 13.5”x32.5”. NFS.
Artist’s statement: I was inspired to create The Pharmacy after speaking through social media to people medicating or self medicating during the pandemic. The number of people suffering from anxiety during these emotionally exhausting times is understandable, and, perhaps, relatable. I also sought to evoke Valley of the Dolls through not only the pill bottles, but also the Xanax blue 60s wardrobe. In this way, my piece reflects both art as well as art reflecting life. By creating this piece, I hope I am able to bring awareness to people suffering from anxiety during the pandemic.


About the artist: Sean Hoisington is an award-winning artist presently residing in Carbondale, IL. He earned his Master’s of Fine Art in Photography from Indiana State University. He photographs cinematic reality inhabited by characters reminiscent of the past, yet exist in the present. He worked as an Adjunct Instructor at Ivy Tech Community College in Terre Haute, IN, Ivy Tech Community College in Avon, IN, The Art Institute of Indianapolis, and as an Instructor of Record at Indiana State University.

Sean Hoisington. “All Dressed Up with Nowhere to Go.” 2012. Photography on Archival Paperl 13.5"x25.5”. $300.


Roxanne Phillips: When did you begin to know what your art is about?
Sean Hoisington: My art is fragmented experiences and emotions filtered through my imagination. At times, the narrative isn’t clear to me until completion of the photo shoot.

Sean Hoisington. “No One Came.” 2020. Photography on Archival Paper, 13.5"x32.5”. $400.


RP: What is it that you are most eager to convey through your art/ how do you want the viewer to receive or interpret or your art?
SH: The filmstrips are my main body of fine art photography work. The plots in the narratives are intentionally ambiguous as the story unfolds in multiple images so viewers can interpret the narrative how they want. I think of The Filmstrips as viewing a scene from a movie without context of what previously happened or what will happen next.

Sean Hoisington. “Last Night.” 2018. Photography on Archival Paper, 13.5"x32.5”. $450.


RP: What is your future creative life?
SH: As someone whose body of fine art and commercial photography is wholly comprised of photographing people, I have an increasing interest in still life photography while maintaining the visual theatricality of my previous work in a new series of single photographs. I envision the still lifes to have a pop art meets baroque quality to them.

Sean Hoisington. “Makeup the Breakdown.” 2020. Photography on Archival Paper, 13.5"x25.5”. $300.


RP: On what are you currently working?
SH: I’m ordering materials for single image photographs. I have an upcoming solo exhibition at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, IN scheduled for fall of 2021. I have been researching grants to possibly offset the costs of printing and framing.

Sean Hoisington. “Tea for Two.” 2015. Photography on Archival Paper, 13.5"x32.5”.
NFS.


RP: Has rejection ever affected your creative process? If so, how?
SH: Rejection is never personal because art is subjective. I’m happy when I’m accepted into juried exhibitions or asked to do a solo exhibition. I judge myself as much by my successes as I do by my perceived failures. I included some pieces I originally viewed as failed photo shoots for this blog because of this question specifically. They were nice images, but challenging to create a narrative. I revisited the images during the pandemic while in isolation, and the work makes sense to me now.

Learn more about Sean Hoisington: www.instagram.com/sean_hoisington
____________________________


Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments