Interview with artist Tiffany Johnson Cade


St. Louis artist Tiffany Johnson Cade. Photo courtesy of the artist.

Roxanne Phillips: Describe your artistic process/technique.
Tiffany Cade: I start off with a quick drawing just to get the concept down. I like very loose, gestural drawings. After the initial drawing I paint a small painting in order to work out the colors. Once the image feels right I create the larger piece.
 
RP: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork?
TC: Emotions/feelings are the biggest points of inspiration for me. My goal is for each piece to evoke some kind of emotion.

Tiffany Cade with a work in-progress in her St. Louis studio. Photo courtesy of the artist.

RP: What do you find most challenging/rewarding about the creative process?
TC: Slowing down and not over painting are my biggest challenges. Seeing the finished piece is the most rewarding to me. I marvel at home a  blank canvas turns into a story.

RP: What was it that first prompted your career/activity as an artist?
TC: I’ve always loved to draw and to be creative. When I was in elementary school, I used to volunteer to decorate classroom bulletin boards. Teachers encouraged me to continue. I won my very first art contest in the sixth grade. I went on to major in art in college. Afterward graduation, I started submitting to calls for art and entering group exhibits.

RP: What is it about your preferred medium that you enjoy the most?

TC: I prefer acrylic because I want vibrant colors fast and it forces me to not over paint. Oil takes longer to dry.

RP: What is it that you are most eager to convey through your art/ how do you want the viewer to receive or interpret or your art?
TC
: My primary goal in my art is to provide positive imagery of minorities.

RP: What is the best thing about St. Louis for your art practice?
TC
: Pre-pandemic, I would regularly venture out to find new galleries or art scenes. St. Louis has plenty of arts and culture to enjoy, especially in the city.

Tiffany Cade's studio. Photo courtesy of the artist.

RP: Is there another artist that has influenced your art and how?
TC: I am a huge fan of Georgia O'Keeffe. Her big, bold painting just draws one in instantly. I try to draw viewers in the same way. However, I do not paint on a large scale. I am currently working on my first, very large piece.

RP: When did you begin to know what your art is about?
TC: I did not realize my pattern of drawing/painting elongated, stylized figures until a college professor was reviewing my portfolio and asked, "What's up with the elongated, stylized figure?" My portfolio was chock-full of tall, black women in colorful attire and full of confidence. I then realized that I was painting what I knew. I was raised by strong, black women. I champion them in my work.

RP: What is the biggest challenge with being an artist and juggling all life throws at you?
TC: Sectioning off time to paint is a real challenge especially since working as a graphic designer for the last 10 years.
 
RP: What do you find most challenging/rewarding about the creative process?
TC
: The most challenging thing about the process is the required patience to let a piece evolve on its own. Sometimes I rush the process and the finished piece turns out less than ideal.

It is very rewarding when I do allow myself to divert from my original plan(s) and go in an entirely different direction and the piece turns out dreamy.

RP: What qualities attract you to other artist pieces?
TC: Bold colors and a touching, underlying meaning attracts me to other artist pieces.

RP: Do you have a studio routine? Most creative time of day to work? Process of thinking or setting up before you begin making?
TC: Unfortunately, I do not have a studio routine. My mind is constantly thinking of things to paint. I jot down notes for possible paintings and when time allows I flesh the ideas out into a piece.

RP: Do you think that creativity involves putting your heart and soul into your work? Or is it more like letting your mind flow freely to witness the surprising results of your actions?
TC: I operate in the former. My goals is to be like the latter though.

RP: Best advice you were ever given?
TC: Have a good under drawing. It is a solid foundation in which to build upon.
____________________________

St. Louis-based artist Tiffany Johnson Cade earned a BFA from University of Missouri-St. Louis in 1997. Her works have been presented in solo and group exhibits throughout the Midwest, including: Caritas Village Gallery, Memphis, TN; Alton Museum of Art & History, Alton, IL; Longview Farmhouse, Town & Country, MO; Edwardsville Children’s Museum, Edwardsville, IL; Jacoby Arts Center, Alton, IL; Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, Mt. Vernon, IL; SOHA Gallery, St. Louis, MO; Vondell Art Gallery, Wood River, IL; and OCG Artist Guild, Greenville, IL.
Learn more about Tiffany Johnson Cade: http://tiffanyjohnsoncade.com/
____________________________

Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments