Interview with artist Leslie Song

by Roxanne Phillips

Leslie Song. “Release of Dormancy.” 2020. Oil on Canvas, 36"x24”. $875.

Roxanne Phillips: What are you currently working on?
Leslie Song: I’ve recently started a new paintings series that explores identity, memories, and dreams. I’ve also begun weaving again, which has been a meditative addition to my studio practice.

Leslie Song working in the studio.

RP: What is the biggest point of inspiration for your artwork? 
LS
: Nature has always been a consistent source of inspiration–I like to go on sunrise walks and use that time to enjoy the silence. The combination of nature and solitude allows for thoughts and concepts to flow freely. By spending time outdoors, the textures, patterns, and surroundings I notice on my walks will also subconsciously find their way into my work, and I enjoy how these elements add subtle (or not so subtle) layers.
 
Leslie Song. “Where To Go From Here.” 2018. Oil on Canvas. 36"x36”. $1,200.

RP: Do you think that creativity involves putting your heart and soul into your work? Or is it more like letting your mind flow freely to witness the surprising results of your actions? 
LS
: I think creativity comes from a number of sources. For me, most of my creativity comes from daily experimenting, failing, and things I’ve absorbed on a day-to-day basis. More than anything, I think it’s important to put in the work. Even if I’m not feeling motivated or creative I’ve learned to spend time on exercises or I’ll look at other artists’ work. Every once in a while I will wake up in the middle of the night with a vivid image or a new idea, but it’s rare. I believe creativity should be approached as an action rather than a concept, and I’ve noticed those “A-ha!” sparks happen more often if I practice and do the work.
 
Leslie Song. Sketchbook page for original composition for "Release of Dormancy.”

RP: Do you have a sketchbook? What kinds of things do you put in it?
LS: I rely on my sketchbook for a variety of reasons – some days it’s my visual journal; other times I’ll use it to experiment with mark making, patterns, or color combinations; I’ll sometimes figure out composition options for ideas swirling in my head; and I’ll house my collage experiments in there as well.
 
Leslie Song. Studio view.

RP: Do you have a studio routine? Most creative time of day to work?
LS
: My studio routine depends on the projects I have in progress. If I have a painting in the works I’ll usually jump right into it. If I’m working through the beginning stages of a new series or new painting I’ll do more experimental exercises, such as collage work or creating a set number of small doodles in 30 minutes.
 
Typically, I’ll work in my studio in the evening and work late into the night. This has consistently been the most creative and inspirational time for me, but on the weekends I’ll try to squeeze in as many hours as I can.
 
RP: Process of thinking or setting up before you begin making?
LS
: Because I enjoy working on the floor of my studio I’ll spend at least 15-20 minutes practicing yoga and/or stretching before getting to work. It also helps to get in the mindset of being in the moment. I’ll then either put on a podcast (I’ve been loving “Ologies with Alie Ward,” “The Jealous Curator: ART FOR YOUR EAR,” and “The Great Women Artists”) or some atmospheric music. I’ll then think about my intentions and what I want to accomplish in the studio that day.
____________________________

Leslie Song is a contemporary artist and EDAC-certified designer living and working in St. Louis, Missouri. She earned her BFA in painting and fibers from Truman State University and her Master of Science in Textile Design from Thomas Jefferson University (formerly Philadelphia University). In addition to her studio art practice, she works as an art consultant for senior living communities and healthcare spaces. Though painting is the central focus of her current work she also creates drawings, surface design, and fiber art. Song’s artwork has been featured in exhibits throughout Missouri and her paintings are included in private art collections throughout the U.S. and France.
Learn more about Leslie Song: www.lesliesong.com and https://www.instagram.com/lesliesongart/ and https://www.facebook.com/lesliesongart
____________________________

Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. Roxanne is an adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis and has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer. From 2018-2020 she was Master Printer for Pele Prints. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.

Comments