Interview with David Dolak

by Roxanne Phillips, MFA
Printmaker and Master Printer, Pele Prints

David Dolak. Untitled lino print from 2020.

Roxanne Phillips: What is the best thing about being an artist?
David Dolak: For me it’s the pursuit of something that has no perceivable finish line, nor end, nor final conclusion. Within some periods of my life the ultimate goal had been an attempt to reach a level of skill, in other chapters of my life it has been a search for the meaning behind my work. As life has moved along that sense of what matters the most about being an artist has constantly morphed and I have never quite attained any of the goals that seemed to matter. I find comfort in that. There will always be more, not less, and the output will forever lead to a path that extends far into the future that I can’t possibly imagine crossing the finish line.

Artist David Dolak in his studio.

R: What is your preferred medium and what about it do you enjoy the most?
D: Oil paint, graphite, print making, Photoshop. I’ve doggedly tried to focus on one thing…being a painter, or a graphic designer, or a printmaker. It just never works for me to focus on one thing. What I have found is I have no focus, just periods in my output where one medium has temporarily stolen my attention for the time being. There are mediums I can control better than others. Sometimes I want or need more control, other times I want to hide behind mediums that deny me the ability to command them. Both sensibilities offer the chance to produce work that either reflects my intention to a degree or all together surprises me with the end result.

Pano view of David's workspace.

R: How has Coronavirus changed your art practice? 
D: External factors such as the virus, or economic downturns, or the political landscape have never had an impact on my work. Those external factors will always be here, and I don’t like to ebb or flow with them. I use very cheap materials and I focus on subject matter that is very close to me. More personal factors impact my work. The birth of a child, the passing of time for instance. Really, the only thing that changes my art practice is the availability of hours in the studio. Nothing else but time really changes the practice or pursuit.

David Dolak. Untitled lino print from 2020.
David Dolak. Untitled lino print from 2020.

David Dolak. Untitled lino print from 2020.

R: What are most eager to convey through your art/ how do you want the viewer to receive or interpret or your art? 
D: I used to really stress about what the viewer would think or receive. As a trained graphic designer, I am hard wired to think about how the viewer might “read” my work. I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn’t concern myself with that right now when it comes to my fine art. I say “right now” because I imagine at some point it will make sense to be concerned with it once again for good reason…reason I don’t have at present moment. For now, I make what I make because I am compelled to. Should those who view my art find something to read or feel in it, great. Who am I to tell them what to see?

Highlight from Dolak's linocut sketchbook.

R: What is your dream project? 
D: My dream project is sitting 20 feet away from me in my studio as I type this. My next project is always my dream project. In this instance I am referring to a small two-color linoleum print of my youngest son, Jacob…I just sketched up the key block last night and after I submit this interview, I am going back in to work on it.

David Dolak. Untitled lino print from 2020.

____________________________

St. Louis area artist David Dolak is partner and Chief Creative Officer at Phoenix Creative Co. where he has worked since 2007. In 2016, David earned his MFA in painting from Fontbonne University in St. Louis. He earned a BFA in Fine Art & Commercial Art from Concordia University in Nebraska in 2003.
____________________________

Roxanne Phillips is an artist and art educator based in St. Louis since 2001. She earned a MFA in Printmaking & Drawing from Washington University in St. Louis and BFA in Painting & Drawing from University of North Texas. She has worked with Art Saint Louis since 2017 as Administrative Assistant and Installer and since 2018 as Master Printer for Pele Prints. She also works as adjunct art instructor at Washington University in St. Louis. Her works have been featured in numerous exhibitions throughout the St. Louis region including at Art Saint Louis, Crossroads Art Studio & Gallery, and St. Louis Artists’ Guild. Her work is currently available at Union Studio in St. Louis. She has served as exhibit Juror for several regional exhibits & art fairs. Roxanne is past Board member of St. Louis Women’s Caucus for Art.  

Comments

Thank you so much for sharing this interview. I don't know what the future holds for visual arts but I appreciate all the experimenting to find a venue that works. I love seeing and sharing art "in the flesh" but this interview was well done and I learned something.