In response to the lack of published art reviews in our fair city, Art Saint Louis launched this blog, Art Saint Louis/Art Dialogue, back in October of 2007.
a focus on local, for over five years now, our goal has been to provide St. Louis regional artists and galleries
the means to fair consideration and peer review of their works and
exhibitions. This blog features exhibition reviews, interviews,
studio visits, images, and more. We work to present a wide range of
opinions and reflections on what is being created and exhibited by
artists in the St. Louis metro community.
Louis welcomes experienced as well as firt-time art writers/reviewers residing
in the St. Louis metro area and representing all walks of artistic
life, including artists, BFA and MFA art, art-history and even journalism students, curators, critics,
professors, and others to contribute to this blog. This is a volunteer (non-paying) position.
We’re seeking interesting viewpoints and
thought-provoking reviews that will be of interest to artists and
non-artists. Proper English language usage, grammar and the ability to
put one’s thoughts down in a professional manner are important
considerations. You don't have to be a 'professional' writer to write
like a professional.
- There are no deadlines.
- Submissions are considered at all times.
- No guarantees that an item will be published.
- Since this is a blog, submissions should be kept to a reasonable length— so do your best to self-edit.
- Art Saint Louis Artistic Director Robin Hirsch is the editor of this blog and edits all items, as well as posts and publishes all items. She will "lightly" edit items, as-needed, with possible corrections to spelling,
grammar, punctuation, and facts. Some items may need more serious
editing, so we reserve the right to edit as-needed.
- Please provide contact information for yourself, the gallery or artists about whom you are writing, hyperlinks, when possible.
- Please provide photographs that are approved for our use (get full reproduction permission from artist or presenter) along with full photo credits, including artist, artwork title, year, media, size of artwork, and any other information required for photo credit.
- Submissions should be presented in the most professional manner possible.
We will not consider or publish the following: unprofessional,
incoherent/unclear writings; items using profanity; shameless
self-promotion; anything resembling an outright mean-spirited rant.
Even when posted on Art Saint Louis/Art Dialogue, the story remains
property of the author. Upon posting, Art Saint Louis retains the right
to reproduce the story for publicity and other Art Saint Louis
- All items will be posted in a timely manner.
- New postings will be publicized to the community at-large via e-mail, Facebook, Art Saint Louis membership communications, and a local community listserve.
We aren’t able to pay writers, however each writer’s byline will be
posted with the review/story and can include a hyperlink to a
personal/art website and any other bio or contact info you wish to be
We can gladly provide you with a list of
current exhibitions on view in the metro area as well as the appropriate
contact person at the venue. If you review an exhibition, please ask the
gallery/museum director for digital images to include with the story and
be sure to get permission to reproduce said images. Also be sure to get
proper photo credits, including: artist; title of artwork; date of
work; media; dimensions; photo courtesy of; photo credit; etc.
Thank you for reading the Art Saint Louis/Art Dialogue blog and for contributing to the artistic dialogue & conversation in St. Louis.
you'd like to review an exhibit, interview an artist or write about
local art, please contact: Robin Hirsch, Art Saint Louis Associate
Director and Art Dialogue Blog Editor at email@example.com