In response to the lack of published art reviews in our fair city, Art Saint Louis has launched this blog, Art Saint Louis / Art Dialogue.
With a focus on local, we aim to provide area artists & galleries the means to fair consideration and peer review of their works and exhibitions. This blog will feature exhibition reviews, interviews, studio visits, images & more. We aim to present a wide range of opinions and reflections on what is being created & exhibited by artists in the St. Louis metro community.
Art Saint Louis welcomes experienced and first-time art writers/reviewers residing in the St. Louis metro area and representing all walks of artistic life, including artists, BFA & MFA students, curators, critics, professors, etc... We’re seeking interesting viewpoints and thought-provoking reviews that will be of interest to artists and non-artists. Proper English language usage, grammar and the ability to put one’s thoughts down in a professional manner are important considerations. You don't have to be a 'professional' writer to write like a professional.
- There are no deadlines.
- Submissions will be considered at all times.
- No guarantees that an item will be published.
- Since this is a blog, submissions should be kept to a reasonable length— so do your best to self-edit.
- We will lightly edit items, with possible corrections to spelling, grammar, punctuation & facts. Some items may need more serious editing, so we reserve the right to edit as-needed.
- Submissions should be presented in the most professional manner possible.
- We will not consider or publish the following: unprofessional, incoherent/unclear writings; items using profanity; shameless self-promotion; anything resembling an outright mean-spirited rant.
- Even when posted on Art Saint Louis / Art Dialogue, the story remains property of the author. Upon posting, Art Saint Louis retains the right to reproduce the story for publicity and other Art Saint Louis organizational purposes.
- All items will be posted in a timely manner.
- New postings will be publicized to the community at-large via e-mail and list serves.
- We aren’t able to pay writers, however each writer’s byline will be posted with the review/story and can include a hyperlink to a personal/art website and any other bio or contact info you wish to be included.
We can gladly provide you with a list of current exhibitions on view in the metro area as well as the appropriate contact person at the venue. If you review a show, please ask the gallery/museum director for digital images to include with the story and be sure to get permission to reproduce said images. Also be sure to get proper photo credits, including: artist; title of artwork; date of work; media; dimensions; photo courtesy of; photo credit; etc.
The feedback we've received so far indicates that this project is worth the effort. We believe that our community needs a more consistent & constant flow of artistic dialogue. With this new resource, Art Saint Louis / Art Dialogue, we hope to get conversation started.
If you'd like to review an exhibit, interview an artist or write about local art, please contact: Robin Hirsch, Art Saint Louis Associate Director and Art Dialogue Blog Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org